Need your feedback for new store

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

unix4linux

Hello All,

I am currently working with my partner to open up a new location to sell performance parts for imports. We are in the middle of working out our business plan and would like some feedback from as many people as possible to see what we as a retail store/shop can do for you to make us successful.

Here is the main question:

When you walk into a performance store / shop what is it about the store that should make you come back even if you are not purchasing anything? What is it that we should do/have to allow you to say to yourself "I like that store"?
Please let us know so that we can have a better understanding of how to setup our environment for the public consumer. Thanks a bunch and greatly appreciate it.

unix

where are you located?

the only time i will ever go to any local "performance/speed" shop is when i need something that day... if its not in stock i'll order it myself and get it cheaper...

you're gonna have a hard time competing with online stores unless the scene is HUGE in your area...
the local speed shop by me caters to everything from lifted trucks to imports... you need a big customer base to stay in business

oh and willing to give a discount to people who continue to come back.. that always helps.. you should do online also

The biggest advantage between a store you visit vs. online store, is you can get what you need right there ;) If you keep the prices competitive, and keep stuff in stock, you should have alot of people going there(also an online shop/ebay store wont hurt :) ).

We are actually an e-Commerce site that will also have a retail store. Neither the site/store are up and ready yet. We plan on servicing/installing parts we sell as well once everything is up and running smoothly. We will be in Orlando, FL

As long as you offer something online. But even still your prices probably wont be as low as strictly online stores, because youll encounter more expenses. Dont get me wrong, i've ordered from places where the price was higher, because ive delt with them before and they are reputable. I wouldnt get too caught up in pricing, just make it somewhat competitive and youll be set, doesnt need to be basement prices (except for HS members).

If the store could also do installs, then i bet youll be good, but that also means hiring staff and having a larger facility for bays.

oh... just a heads up.. don't let people hang around the shop, it looks really bad... i know a couple of places here that went under because they let everyone hangout there and their business dropped

eg6sir,

someone on another forum had suggested for me to actually allow people to come by and hang out. I thought it would've been an ok thing but I guess if they get out of control my landlord and the law will be on my case as well...i guess i have to re-think about how to let people hang out vs. loitering...sighh

i thin kif you let people hang out you should do it after 6pm ,.and have what we have around here is a dyno night it las from 7 to 1 am or later depending on how many cars want there stuff dynoed..

and no APC crap
i disagree...sure...you and i may not be into APC crap...but there a numerous people out there who are...from a business standpoint...you should not limit yourself to what you sell...sell items from rice to pure performance...do not be bias on what you sell...do not stick to just one thing...sell show and go...you would be surprised at how much your business will prosper...

also...it has already been said...but include a VERY knowledgeable staff...people that customers can ask any question...and they will know the answer right then and there...

You MUST advertise...businesses who lack advertising fail quickly...people who do not know you are there...will not come to your store...the more people who know about you...the more people that will come to your store...

If it is possible...find a location for your store where you can have at least one drive-in garage to perform installs yourself...the cost of labor these days is what keeps a lot of performance shops up and running...so keep that in mind...plus customers like the idea of being able to get their product installed at the same place they purchased it...rather than buying it one place and searching for an installation place...

with all that said...good luck with the business...keep us updated on how it goes

a good ambience and store environment. keep everything clean and organized and try to stylize the store to the scene you are catering too. i cant stand going into shops were its just cement floor and plain walls and metal racks full of greasy stuff.
if you make it an enjoyable environment then it will make people want to come back. good sound system playing some good music never hurts, maybe some graffiti or murals on the walls, i dunno just something to add to the background to set your store apart from others.
sales is 90% presentation imo ;)

97AccorDEx,

Thanks for the input. I def. have to be able to provide a bit of everything. Your ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

All - please know that your input today has helped me and my partner decide the main areas of attack for great customer service. I really appreciate the time and effort here.

I got kicked off honda-tech because they told me I have to pay to post up topics like this. On the other hand I never gave my business name nor location on any of the boards and I still got booted.

So, I sincerely thank you all for the great help and patience

Back