Neon DOHC swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I've got this 98 ECU and the 98 DOHC wiring harness. Underneath the fuse box is a clip that holds two pretty major connectors (One is 10 pin, the other is 10 pin (on the 95 harness) and 11 pins (on the 98 harness)). I traced the wires down and I'm left with one wire - A green wire with yellow stripe.

Here is what I've found: In the 98 harness, it seems it handles the radiator fan signal and fuse in the ENGINE harness, while in the 95 SOHC harness, it handles the radiator fan in the CHASSIS harness. using the 95 radiator - I think I'm ok just tossing the green wire out of the equation (It goes to pin #23 on the new harness, and the older harness doesn't have a pin #23)

Do you have access to either an ECU pin-out, 98 Harness wire-out, or the accurate wiring diagrams for the engine harness ?

Thanks !

-> Steve

The ECU is broken out into two entire harnesses. The first harness is the engine connector, the second one is for the chassis controlled stuff. Things like Cruise control, A/C switches and ABS is contained in the second one. The first one is for the engine - And all will work on the 98 engine, but the harness needs to talk to the fuse block without issues. This green wire looks like it belonged to something in the 98 fuse block.

I need either detailed source for wiring diagram / schematics or the ECU pin-outs for the first gen Neon. Any help ?

what year is the car and what r you tryin to do swap ecus from one year to another? i don't have my wiring guide with me cause i am at work but i can get what you need when i get home if you give me some more info. like year car, year ecu, year engine, and what not. i have done it all to a neon so i can get ya an answer if ya get me that stuff.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Sep 12 2005, 02:47 PM
umm... looks like he is trying to swap a 98 engine/ecu into his 95 chassis
[post=553144]Quoted post[/post]​

Bingo !

the 95 is a Plymouth highline, sans A/C. It was originally an automatic car, but has been successfully swapped to 5 speed. Now the SOHC motor is out and the DOHC is going in. The harness I got was new Mopar, and I only needed to switch around one connector - the connector that is attached underneath the fuse box. (The two connectors under there are similar, and on the 98, they are different)

After swapping out the connectors, the 98 had 11 connections, and the 95 had 10. There is only room in the harness for 10, so I'm one out. The one that's out is this green wire with a yellow stripe, and it's #18 on the PCM harness connector. So either the wiring or the ECU pin-out chart will help tell me what it is.

Also, if you're really into Neons you might be interested in the project.

-> Steve

so why are you not using the 95 harness?

you dont need to use a 98 harness just because your using a 98 motor. or is there another reason your using the 98 harness?

maybe i missed the point :)

**EDITED**

nevermind.. If you cant say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all....

Because I could change one connector with the 98 harness (Because it's a 98 Motor) or I could find myself changing ALL connectors but one. I'm not keen on that.

Also, do the 98 DOHCs use a dwell fuel injector ? Tha'ts another thing I have to work on.

Originally posted by phyregod@Sep 12 2005, 05:09 PM
**EDITED**

nevermind.. If you cant say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all....
[post=553232]Quoted post[/post]​

hah! i thought not.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 12 2005, 05:16 PM
Because I could change one connector with the 98 harness (Because it's a 98 Motor) or I could find myself changing ALL connectors but one. I'm not keen on that.

Also, do the 98 DOHCs use a dwell fuel injector ? Tha'ts another thing I have to work on.
[post=553239]Quoted post[/post]​

the only things you would need to change on the 98 motor to use the 95 harness is the 98 motor has a combined IAT/MAP sensor and the 95 has a seperate MAP and IAT sensor you would use the sensors off the SOHC manifold and theres a spot on the DOHC manifold to tap for the IAT. also the IAC and TPS have diff conectors that you would have to cut and splice in the 98+ connectors. when i did my DOHC swap in my old 95 SOHC i used a 97 motor but kept the 95 SOHC harness and just modified it to work. it ended up being easier for me but you have your mind set on using the 98 so have fun. :D

also you might have some trouble with emmissions cause 95 wasnt really OBD2 and 98 is.

the intake manifold still plastic on the 98? you could always punch a hole in it with a screwdriver. ;)

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Sep 12 2005, 07:04 PM
the intake manifold still plastic on the 98? you could always punch a hole in it with a screwdriver. ;)
[post=553321]Quoted post[/post]​

no DOHC's had plastic mani's

Originally posted by CoreyR@Sep 12 2005, 06:42 PM

when i did my DOHC swap in my old 95 SOHC i used a 97 motor but kept the 95 SOHC harness and just modified it to work. it ended up being easier for me but you have your mind set on using the 98 so have fun. :D

also you might have some trouble with emmissions cause 95 wasnt really OBD2 and 98 is.
[post=553301]Quoted post[/post]​

NO WAIT ! !!! DON'T LEAVE ME !!!!!!!!!

I was also wrong on the case - It's a 96 car with the 98 motor. Both are OBDII as I could see.

But let us talk more about this swap... that you did... successfully :) You actually installed sensors in the 98 motor from the 95 ?

Originally posted by Celerity+Sep 12 2005, 07:27 PM-->
@Sep 12 2005, 06:42 PM

when i did my DOHC swap in my old 95 SOHC i used a 97 motor but kept the 95 SOHC harness and just modified it to work. it ended up being easier for me but you have your mind set on using the 98 so have fun.  :D

I was also wrong on the case - It's a 96 car with the 98 motor. Both are OBDII as I could see.

But let us talk more about this swap... that you did... successfully :) You actually installed sensors in the 98 motor from the 95 ?
[post=553342]Quoted post[/post]​

yes. if you look at the DOHC manifold where the map/iat sensor is look to the right you will see a little round flat spot casted into the mani. on a 95 DOHC mani thats tapped to i forget what size thread and has a IAT threaded into it and the map is to the left like it is now.

now that you say its a 96 your really wasting your time swaping harnesses. 96 has everything identical to the rest of the years up to 99 EXCEPT the fan switch wiring and you can use the 98 ECU with the 96 harness but you just need to reverse 2 wires on the ECU for the fan to work properly (instructions can easily be found on neons.org). the only thing you would need to to do with the single cam harness for on the DOHC is to extend the coolant temp sensor wire cause its in a different spot on the DOHC.

Originally posted by CoreyR+Sep 12 2005, 09:35 PM-->
Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 12 2005, 07:27 PM
CoreyR
@Sep 12 2005, 06:42 PM

when i did my DOHC swap in my old 95 SOHC i used a 97 motor but kept the 95 SOHC harness and just modified it to work. it ended up being easier for me but you have your mind set on using the 98 so have fun.  :D

[post=553342]Quoted post[/post]​

yes. if you look at the DOHC manifold where the map/iat sensor is look to the right you will see a little round flat spot casted into the mani. on a 95 DOHC mani thats tapped to i forget what size thread and has a IAT threaded into it and the map is to the left like it is now.

now that you say its a 96 your really wasting your time swaping harnesses. 96 has everything identical to the rest of the years up to 99 EXCEPT the fan switch wiring and you can use the 98 ECU with the 96 harness but you just need to reverse 2 wires on the ECU for the fan to work properly (instructions can easily be found on neons.org). the only thing you would need to to do with the single cam harness for on the DOHC is to extend the coolant temp sensor wire cause its in a different spot on the DOHC.
[post=553427]Quoted post[/post]​

Harness has the same connection types and the same runs, etc - But the end of the harness is different and the connectors are mostly different (Males where the old ones were female, etc).

Thats what I meant by "I could switch this one connector, or I could leave it alone and switch all the rest".

-> Steve

neons.org search or ask about the shop manual that they can send you as a file. My ex-roommate has a copy of it, he got it from a guy on neons.org and i guess its pretty popular on there. id get it from him for you, but i dont talk to him anymore cuz he is a piece of fucking shit.

Originally posted by 2000Si+Sep 12 2005, 05:25 PM-->
www.neons.org

They can probably help more than we can. :)
[post=553244]Quoted post[/post]​

Seany-izzle
@Sep 13 2005, 05:54 PM
neons.org search or ask about the shop manual that they can send you as a file. My ex-roommate has a copy of it, he got it from a guy on neons.org and i guess its pretty popular on there. id get it from him for you, but i dont talk to him anymore cuz he is a piece of fucking shit.
[post=553928]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Back