netbooks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
anyone here have experience with netbooks? i was looking at this one at Best Buy the other day:

Asus - Netbook with Intel® Celeron® Processor 353 - Black - 1000HD-BKBB1

i realize that its slow but its practically perfect for what i wanna use it which is internet access and media storage. not to mention its pretty cheap too. this one is the mid-price range one as they go all the way up to $500. i know it doesnt have any type of CD/DVD ROM drive but i dont really care but it does have a 120g hd and comes with WindowsXP installed. anyways, im looking for feedback on these things. thanks y'all

I personally would never buy a machine with a celeron proc. Ever. However, those netbooks really are a niche market. If you are one of those people that really just needs to be able to take notes in class and get on the internet, more power to you. If you are like me and you want to fiddle with stuff and be able to surf comfortably, those are not for you.

The Asus with the Intel Atom processor in it is pretty bad ass from what I hear. I have been looking at picking one up myself. The battery life is pretty damn good on the Asus as well. Likehttps://hondaswap.com/members/reikoshea/ reikoshea said if all you want to do is write some papers and surf the internetz then you would be good to go. Plus with the amount of traveling I am going to be doing for work soon it would be awsome to have a tiny personal laptop to help offset my heavy ass work machine.

i have an asus with a pentium 4. It has been through 18 months of iraq and it is about 3 years old. GREAT LAPTOP!!!! I use for djing now and it never fails me. Not too sure about the celeron though but if no games and shit then it should be fine for what you need it for.

i wont be using it for gaming. all i would be using for pretty much is when i go to car shows to upload my pics for the website i shoot for and to take my dads house so i can use it there when i visit.

Unless you're really slamming that thing, a Celeron will serve you well. Of course if you're looking for a machine with massive horsepower, then you wouldn't be looking at a 400 dollar subnotebook. That and high horsepower processors are kinda power hungry. When it comes to a portable, battery life trumps all.

I would highly recommend either finding a laptop with bluetooth integrated or buying the smallest adapter you can find. If you're gonna be on the go, mobile broadband is your friend. Trust me :)

well it has the wireless LAN card in it so thats a plus and the battery usage lasts up to about 4hrs according to the spec chart at Best Buy when i was looking at it. the fact that it has WinXP and not Vista is good for me although they had an option for the same one to have the Linux operating system for about $80 less looked tempting as well even tho i have never used Linux before.

well it has the wireless LAN card in it so thats a plus and the battery usage lasts up to about 4hrs according to the spec chart at Best Buy when i was looking at it. the fact that it has WinXP and not Vista is good for me although they had an option for the same one to have the Linux operating system for about $80 less looked tempting as well even tho i have never used Linux before.

Vista would turn that netbook into a doorstop.

IMHO I would get a bit of experience using Linux before making it your primary OS. Get an old box and toss a copy on there. If you blow it up, just reinstall and don't do whatever you did to nuke it.

You can get XP now and Linuxify it down the road.

BDN, if you do get it let us know how it works for you. I am thinking very seriously about picking one up.

Well i took a leap today and picked up an Acer One. Im posting from it as we speak, here in the next couple of days ill post some thoughts on it. I picked it up at Costco for 350 and some change.

i had a few HP notebooks that are 1100 new im selling for 600 +3yr warranty... shoulda sent me a PM.

bring it back!

Back