network drive problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok first things first i am not much of a networking person yet. i know enough to get by but i am having this problem over and over again. I just started a new IT job and i was left with a lot of problems that i was able to fix but this is a kick in the ass! ok here it is there is a network drive here that all the students access. about 10-20 times a day i get the same phone call the error says access deny due to the same user logged to the drive already. now i know that is not so because everyone has there own sign on. i have to go disconnect the drive and then reconnect it. its not always the same computer. so i wanted to know if anyone has had that problem before and what did you do to fix it. we are running server 2000 if that helps any.

are you using cloned clients ?? if so did you change the SID ?? a cloned system on a network with the same SID will appear as the same computer on a domain and that's a problem.

yeah i know about the sid but they are not cloned pcs they are all brand new dell with just student ids each pc has an id number and thats how they log on. example i am on computer 001 which mean my log on is student_001 each computer is like that for the students to use. the only thing i can think of is the ip addresses. being that the ip address for each me is not set to a static ip when they release the ip and renew it could causing the problem. what do you think?

you could still use dhcp with static leases which will tie a mac address to an ip address so the computer gets the same ip even after a lease is renewd

Back