Networking Hell

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

okay, i bought an Linksys Wireless router last week. it was working great, but yesterday something fucked up. I couldnt get a signal on my iPAQ via WLAN. I tried a hard reset on my iPAQ and it still didnt work. I did a reset on my router, modem, and computer and something happened. Now i cant even get the router to configure. i updated all the software, firmware, whatever you want to fucking call it. When i run the setup, right when i get to the last part where i enter my PoPPE (watever it is), the password/username thing, it says it cant connect.. ive spent 9 long fucking hrs and tech support didnt do shit. they told me to do this and i have no idea what to do with it:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ae Saeteurn>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Endlesszeal
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-05-0C-4A-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.112.46
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter DSL Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.125.142.155
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 68.125.142.155
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 63.200.183.70

maybe you guys can make some sense and help me out. thanks guys

you should set your router up to do the PPoE for you and don't sign in on your pc... looks like you're not getting an IP from your router, its using the auto config adress...

These Directions are assuming you have a ethernet cable from your pc to the router.
get it to work this way first then move onto getting it to work via WLAN

log into the linksys router via a web browser, no usre name, password is Admin if you've rest the modem. routers address is usually 192.168.100.1 , you might need to set your computer up to an address like 192.168.100.2 so you can log in with a web browser.

when you login in it'll be on the setup screen,
under WAN Connection type if you're using DSL choose PPPoE, type your user name and password in and choose Keep Alive

LAN IP address seting can stay as it is. 192.168.100.1 (linksys router Default address) or you can change it to whatever, but it has to be a privite IP 192.168.xxx.xxx (I use 192.168.1.254).

Next

Click on the DHCP tab
choose enable, and give it a starting IP address.
if your router is set as 192.168.100.1, set the starting address as 192.168.100.2

in the DNS set
DNS 1 =192.168.100.1
DNS 2 =206.13.28.12
DNS 3 =63.200.183.70

Next

Choose advanced (all the wya to the right usually)
under filters, set the following to
Block WAN Request: Enable
Multicast Pass Through: Enable
IPSec Pass Through: Enable
PPTP Pass Through: Enable Disable
Remote Management: Disable Port:0
Remote Upgrade: Disable
MTU: Disable Size:0

Next

Click Mac Clone
change it to 00-40-05-0C-4A-64
which is the mac address of your network card.

Next

Ok, now to set up your PC,
you can remove your PPPoE software or client no need to have it installed
your router is now connecting to the service via PPPoE for you.

Change your NIC (network card) to DHCP

then reboot your computer should get an IP address from your router next time you logon to windows.

If this doesn't get you going PM me and i'll give you a phone number to reach me at and I'll talk you thru it. or we can set your router up to remote management and I can confifure it for you.

I have like 5 of these routers installed either in my home , work , friends houses, or poeple I work with.

i cant log on to the site when im on the internet. however, when i disconnect and try to reach the site. im able too. but when i got to save settings it wont save because it says it needs to connect to the internet. wtf??? also, i was wondering if this is normal. everything i sign on to DSL via modem to computer, no router, i HAVE to have the LAN enabled before the DSL connection can dial out. So basically when i sign on to DSL, i have to have both dsl and lan enabled.. is this suppose to happen??? if not, how do i "fix" it? thanks

have you ever used a router before with your DSL service ??
you are not consistant with your questions, first your asking for help with the router to get you online, now your not, do you know how to use these devices, do you understand networking ???

yes you need to have a Network connection to the DSL modem via a network cable,
the PPPoE client needs to start etc.. to get you an internet connection.

nope, i dont understand networking. thats why im asking. also, sorry for the misleading post.

i was just saying that when i tried to follow ur direction, i cant get into the site. however when im offline, i can, but i cant save the settings. and about the last part, i was just wondering if it was normal because ive never noticed it before.. i guess it is.

basically, i cant follow the directions because i cant save the settings on my router. everytime i enter the values u give me and hit save, it just stays put or puts me into a "cannot display" page..

anyway, i appericaite ur help so far. thanks = )

hmm,
have you tried doing a hard reset on the router ??

there's a little grey button, that you need to depress with the tip of a pen and then turn the router on while doing so. it'll reset the router to factory defaults.

then try and set it up.

if you can't get it going after that. I'll work out a time when I can be avaliable to talk you thru it. as I have a busy weekend, as I just bought a house and have a bit of stuff to do.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 27 2004, 09:41 AM
These Directions are assuming you have a ethernet cable from your pc to the router.
get it to work this way first then move onto getting it to work via WLAN

log into the linksys router via a web browser, no usre name, password is Admin if you've rest the modem. routers address is usually 192.168.100.1 , you might need to set your computer up to an address like 192.168.100.2 so you can log in with a web browser.

when you login in it'll be on the setup screen,
under WAN Connection type if you're using DSL choose PPPoE, type your user name and password in and choose Keep Alive

LAN IP address seting can stay as it is. 192.168.100.1 (linksys router Default address) or you can change it to whatever, but it has to be a privite IP 192.168.xxx.xxx (I use 192.168.1.254).

Next

Click on the DHCP tab
choose enable, and give it a starting IP address.
if your router is set as 192.168.100.1, set the starting address as 192.168.100.2

in the DNS set
DNS 1 =192.168.100.1
DNS 2 =206.13.28.12
DNS 3 =63.200.183.70

Next

Choose advanced (all the wya to the right usually)
under filters, set the following to
Block WAN Request: Enable
Multicast Pass Through: Enable
IPSec Pass Through: Enable
PPTP Pass Through: Enable Disable
Remote Management: Disable Port:0
Remote Upgrade: Disable
MTU: Disable Size:0

Next

Click Mac Clone
change it to 00-40-05-0C-4A-64
which is the mac address of your network card.

Next

then reboot your computer should get an IP address from your router next time you logon to windows.

If this doesn't get you going PM me and i'll give you a phone number to reach me at and I'll talk you thru it. or we can set your router up to remote management and I can confifure it for you.

I have like 5 of these routers installed either in my home , work , friends houses, or poeple I work with.

Ther routers adress is actually 192.168.1.1

and the default password is 'admin'

i finally got it to work, but one problem, it cant surf.. it can use aim, but i cant surf and also its not sharing wirelessly or wired. should i just return this piece of shit

you should first learn how to network.

What do you mean exactly by it wont surf?

then reboot your computer should get an IP address from your router next time you logon to windows
<< this is how you do this, if you dont change this, your internet ownt work through the router.

Make sure that your computer is set to DHCP, which will allow it to obtain an IP automatically from the router.

you can set this by going to your control panel.
clicking network connections.
Riht clicking on your LAN connection, select Properties
double click TCP/IP
make sure the little bubble for 'obtain IP adress automatically' and 'obtain DNS server adress automatically is checked in.

Are you using DSL or cable?

like i can log on to aim and shit, but when i try to open a browser and go to a website. it doesnt go and gives me a "cannot load" page. the router is a piece of shit. im going to return it. thanks a lot guys, i really appericiate the help. any more inputs would be great. thanks.

you cant really say its the equipment because i use the EXACT same router. Im wireless right now, and mine works just fine.

good luck with what ever route you decide to go next time.

first off, linksys sucks imho.
i only use dlink since it's cheap, works great, and is easy to set up.
are you still having problems with your ipaq getting on the net? i did with mine, and the thing was you had to manually add dns servers. it wouldn't autodetect them at all. i have an hp 2215 with dlink card on a dlink 514+ wireless router.

i have a ipaq 4155 with built in wifi.. im sure it works because whenver i roam, it picks up everyone elses signals, even at the hospital... anyway, what should i do with the router??

first off, linksys sucks imho

Linksys is a private labeled product of Cisco

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Feb 28 2004, 10:31 PM
you cant really say its the equipment because i use the EXACT same router. Im wireless right now, and mine works just fine.

good luck with what ever route you decide to go next time.

funny, my friend has the same router he does, and it doesnt work for shit half the time.

another reason why i prefer wired or p2p.

I have comfigured a wireless linksys product about 2 weeks ago, works perfect everytime

Back