Neutral handling in a stock Civic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcman

I love my new civic. it's shiny, it's fast, and it gets great gas mileage. but I can't tackle corners in this thing - it understeers when braking, accelerating, and coasting. Are there any driving tricks to make the car rotate (other than the e-brake - I'm not trying that at 60 mph)? Or are mods my only hope?

cars are designed to understeer
they do this because understeer is easier to manage in a panic situation for most drivers

your only hope is mods

disconect the front swaybar, increase size/install rear sway bar, stiffer springs, adjustable shocks (set rears stiffer) and then, your car should have no problem understeering.

What kind of civic are we talking about here ? And what year ?

-> Steve

. Are there any driving tricks to make the car rotate (other than the e-brake - I'm not trying that at 60 mph)?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...do you mean around a freeway exit?

Buy a rear wheel drive car...stomp on the gas around the turn, and let the back end drift out.

But since you have a honda.... go into a gravel parking lot, turn the wheel all the way to the right, put it in 1st gear, press the gas start doing donuts, that'll make it rotate without the ebrake.

If your exiting a freeway, just slow the fuck down and you can take the turn.

No really...
disconect the front swaybar, increase size/install rear sway bar, stiffer springs, adjustable shocks (set rears stiffer) and then, your car should have no problem understeering
this could work.

If you do decide to do that, go to a really big open parking lot set up cones and learn how to drive it first.

coilovers that can drop your car about 3 inches from the ground, strut tower bars, good tires, and balls... if you stay on the gas and dont brake at all you'll be taking freeway exits at 100mph like its your job

Originally posted by revhard36@Jan 30 2004, 04:49 PM
coilovers that can drop your car about 3 inches from the ground, strut tower bars, good tires, and balls... if you stay on the gas and dont brake at all you'll be taking freeway exits at 100mph like its your job

Yeah... :newbie:

coilovers that can drop your car about 3 inches from the ground

not good for handling at all... nevermind neutral handling

strut tower bars

not going to help much as far as acheiving neutral handling

good tires

always important ... but once again not going to help with acheiving neutral handling

and balls

uhhhhh yeah.... cuz that will effect the cars handling :roll:

basicly just :newbie: and dont talk about shit you know nothing about

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 30 2004, 08:07 PM
coilovers that can drop your car about 3 inches from the ground

not good for handling at all... nevermind neutral handling

strut tower bars

not going to help much as far as acheiving neutral handling

good tires

always important ... but once again not going to help with acheiving neutral handling

and balls

uhhhhh yeah.... cuz that will effect the cars handling :roll:

basicly just :newbie: and dont talk about shit you know nothing about

nelson's voice- Ha Ha!

Originally posted by revhard36@Jan 30 2004, 07:49 PM

Thats the second post i have seen from you that is complete nOOb bullshit. And you've only been here for a month. Damn, know your shit before you start giving advice, even if you have to shut the fuck up and just read the posts for a while. We all get tired of correcting ricers like you when you post that shit.

if you want a car that handles exceptionally well when stock, then you shouldn't have bought a civic.

amazes me to no extent that everyone thinks civics are the shit.....

they were designed to get you from point A to point B with semi decent gas mileage.

people dont realize that it takes alot of money and time and hard work to get a honda up to par with the rest of the 35,000+ sports cars out there.

So if that is the case.....what makes hondas so great?

certainly not the cost of "fixing them up"

For the 2000.00 it would cost you for your motor swap or whatever, I could drop that into a mustang or other v8 and still have enough left over to take your bitch after I smoke you at a stoplight.

So we must ask ourselves the question again....what makes a honda so great?

if 3,000.00 in mods can make a honda "quick" ...... then using that reasoning, I can take a Hyundai, Mazda or anything else for that matter and make it "quick"

My point? If you wanted performance stock, out the box....

You should save up and buy something other than a civic.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Jan 31 2004, 06:38 PM
1. if you want a car that handles exceptionally well when stock, then you shouldn't have bought a civic.

2. amazes me to no extent that everyone thinks civics are the shit
they were designed to get you from point A to point B with semi decent gas mileage.

3. So if that is the case.....what makes hondas so great?

4. For the 2000.00 it would cost you for your motor swap or whatever, I could drop that into a mustang or other v8 and still have enough left over to take your bitch after I smoke you at a stoplight.

5. So we must ask ourselves the question again....what makes a honda so great?

6. My point?  If you wanted performance stock, out the box....

You should save up and buy something other than a civic.

1.-> Honda factory performance. Depending on year of car.

2. I thinks civic's are the shit and so the the other 200,000 people, that have the most popular Import tuner car.

3. Add 240 horses to a Dx, then come back.

4. Oh really Cheese Frog proved that wrong.

aaa.jpg
624 horses 10 second cars that they become.

6. Some stock civics can turn real good, and other hondas. Civic SI or RSX-S, Integra or these 2 other variations - Type R's

3.jpg

Originally posted by bcman@Jan 18 2004, 03:52 PM
Are there any driving tricks to make the car rotate (other than the e-brake - I'm not trying that at 60 mph)? Or are mods my only hope?

Go play Underground you can try your civic in there.

Originally posted by Icy_winds_@Feb 1 2004, 11:38 AM
1.-> Honda factory performance. Depending on year of car.

2. I thinks civic's  are the shit and so the the other 200,000 people, that have the most popular Import tuner car.

3. Add 240 horses to a Dx, then come back.

4. Oh really Cheese Frog proved that wrong.

5.624 horses 10 second cars that they become.

6. Some stock civics can turn real good, and other hondas. Civic SI or RSX-S, Integra  or  these 2 other variations - Type R's

1. Depends on the MODEL, not the year. A 2003 Civic handles like ass, but an 86 CRX Si, handles very well.

2. Popular because they are cheap, doesn't make them the shit. If a Skyline was 20,000 new, and under 5000 used, it would be the most popular car to mod.

3. Underachiever

4. Wow, so have hundreds of others, and I bet Cheesefrogs car cost more than $2000, hello, cost of car, labor, blah, blah, blah

5. More like, have been.

6. Speak english much?

It depends on the year of the car. in 1980 there was no such thing as factory performance for a civic.

Underachiever ?? You have 240 horses in a civic? Not everybody is packing money to get the power they want.

Labor? CheeseFrog can do his own stuff, and he has a mechanics shop to use.

Civic's are the shit. You can't give a definition on what the shit is. Skyline was made to be like a street going race car, theres no Skyline Dx. Nissan 20k my ass.
If that were reality many other highend sports cars would be too.

Originally posted by Icy_winds_@Feb 1 2004, 03:35 PM
It depends on the year of the car. in 1980 there was no such thing as factory performance for a civic.

Underachiever ?? You have 240 horses in a civic? Not everybody is packing money to get the power they want.

Labor? CheeseFrog can do his own stuff, and he has a mechanics shop to use.

Civic's are the shit. You can't give a definition on what the shit is. Skyline was made to be like a street going race car, theres no Skyline Dx. Nissan 20k my ass.
If that were reality many other highend sports cars would be too.

1. You're a dumbass.

2. I could

3. Not eveyone does

4. Your opinion, and the comment about the Skyline, well, all I have to say is your mind doesn't work very quickly does it.

Back