New 5th Gen Civic Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mr90Civic

Alright guys, Im new at this whole car dealy. I just bought a 90 civic cx hatch and i wanna get some good horsepower.I wanna get a new engine (prolly a DOHC ZC) and i wanna get a cool air intake. What else should i put in it to give it some extra horses???

Its a 4th Gen not a 5th gen. COLD air intake instead of cool air intake. Get a header and a free flowing exhaust system as well. If this is your first car, learn to drive before doing any BIG horsepower moves. Just get an intake, header and exhaust and that should keep you happy for a while. Good luck with the hatch :thumbsup:

90 model is 4th gen!
give us some more info on how much you want to spend and what your gonna be doing with the car, is it a daily driver, are you gonna drag race, auto-x??????
but the zc engine is a really fun engine and has plenty of go just as it is, i think it would be a good choice! but there is more aftermarket support for the ex motor(d16z6) and it is easier to find(i think)!

Well it is my first car, but i have driving experience with some fast cars. how much do u think all of this will set me back???

Well heres the deal. I am willing to spend however much money i need to, to give me around 170-190 hp. I will be driving the car everyday + some racing here and there. Im hearing some good things about the ZC, its cheap,easy to install,reliable, and is 130 hp. a cold air intake will gimme what?? about 15 hp?? and that will set me back about $100?? Anyways thanks for the post

Come on people lol it cant be that hard to make some posts!!

you'd be lucky to get 5 hp off an intake, off the whole IHE you'd be lucky to get 15. If your looking to have 170-190 whp your looking in the wrong places, look into Forced induction, that will get u up there.

Simple bolt ons don't do much, to me they're added throttle response. Of couse it can feel a shit load faster but it's really not

If your looking for 170-190 whp get either a b18c1 or a b18c5. There a much better starting platform and have tons of aftermarket support. Just my .02

Yea maybe your right, but the thing is...a civic hatchback weighs about 1700 with all the gas,fluids,etc... excluding driver. with driver it will weigh in at about 1870. so if u think about it, 140-150 would be pretty good for that much weight....
would it not?

Im not too sure. but if i can get some good horses for cheap it would be even better. also, price is SORTA an issue, because its not like im just spending money on the engine right, im spending money on other things too.

Lets say i started off with a car and $2000. a b18c1 would set me back prolly $1000-1500 and give me about 200 hp (leaves me with 500-1000). where as getting a DOHC ZC for around $500-700 will give me about 130 hp(leaves me with 1300-1500).

With that left over $$ I would be able to get a muffler system and a header, so it might get me up to 150 hp.

Also though i dont want to have a difficult swap, i want it to be pretty simple and be able to do it in a short period of time.

anyways thanks for the imput. feel free to give anymore imput as it comes to u

don't think there is such thing as a CX in a 90 model...

also, a civic hatch weighs in around 2000 pounds, not 1700... that is what the reference section is for...

i LOVE the EF hatches....

A buddy of mine has one with a B16 swap, IHE, and suspension, and it is a blast to drive... good luck with the car, and show us some pictures

If your looking to get into the game get ready to spend some money. also don't go with no name or bullshit brands like ractive and shit like that, it will get you no where and you'll get smoked by your moms minivan. zc is good to start out with but you will want more power later on if I was you save some money and go with an ls swap at least you can turbo or make ls/vtec later on for more power.

Yea there is a 90 CX, and i dont have any pictures yet, i dont have a f***ing digital cam yet. once i get the camera i'll show u some pics.

I honestly think you should go with a b16 or b18 LS motor because of the after market support. You can go so much further with these in the long run than the ZC motor.

Also the B18C1 will run you more than $1000-$1500 dollars...

it will be VERY HARD and EXPENSIVEto get 170-190 whp out of a ZC naturally aspirated. if you're set on the motor, and a great one it is too, and decide you want to boost it, you will need to ditch the stock rods and pistons. they just arent safe at anything more than 4psi(in general)

open up the engine and look at em, they are as small as your pinky finger. :shocked:

ITR motor with your standard bolt on's and your their.

Originally posted by Mr90Civic@Jan 20 2004, 03:09 PM
Yea there is a 90 CX, and i dont have any pictures yet, i dont have a f***ing digital cam yet. once i get the camera i'll show u some pics.

There is no 90 CX. The only models available in 88-91 were STD, DX, and Si. The CX is part of the fifth generation of civics. CX VX DX and Si for the hatches. Your car might be rebadged, but the CX didn't exist in 90. Nice try though.

1point6 please remove pic from signature.

if you want 170-190 get aB16 with a Cold Air intake, Header, and Full exhaust, and that will put you right there.

should be able to do it for about $3000-4000

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Jan 27 2004, 09:07 PM
1point6 please remove pic from signature.

if you want 170-190 get aB16 with a Cold Air intake, Header, and Full exhaust, and that will put you right there.

should be able to do it for about $3000-4000

Scott, I don't think an SiR B16 is going to be putting 170-190 to wheels with just IHE, man. Stock, they dyno at 130-140 to the wheels and IHE only adds MAYBE 10 whp and 5 wtq.

My buddy has a 91 civic dx, gutted with an LS....I/H/E, Hasport motor mounts, and MT 20x6.0x14 slicks and he ran:

9.04 ET
79.54 MPH
1.98 60 ft

BTW: His car (gutted) does weigh about 1700 lbs........Good Luck!!!!!

Back