new 90 civic hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Big red ram

Its a dx, just baught it for 400 bucks, has 180k miles, just curious to see what the average stock engine is good for. Also when it goes whats the easiest engine swap?

ok, well ive read about 250k-300k stock. thats nice.
Also if i were to visit my local junk yard what would improve my ride?

Every engine is different. it go in a week or it could last you another hundred thousand miles. no way to know difinitively.

without modification the only thing that will work in your car is the stock engine. if you were to find any older b-series or newer d-series engine, its going to require some parts and wiring to get it running either way. more so for the b.

The d15B2 in my 90 crx went at 213K miles, The d15b2 in my friends went at 292K miles. If you take care of it a d series honda can last a very long time. As for cheap and easy upgrades, if your able to do some minor wiring work and have access to a junkyard or other source for the plugs and pins it is pretty simple to convert your car to mpfi. Than you can run a whole host of other d series motors. The d16a6 and d15b7 for example will bolt right in and most of your existing wiring will hook right up. The ZC dohc is also a fairly easy upgrade, it will bolt into the stock motor mounts and only needs some very minor wiring changes to run. If you go from a DPFI to a zc all you have to do is run to wires from the ecu to the cam sensor on the exhaust cam, Run wires from the ecu to a new injector resister box and the injectors. the rest of your harness should plug right in. I cannot comment on how hard it is to put a Vtec engine in an ef chassis because I have not done the conversion myself. All of the above mentioned engines I have swapped into ef chassis before and know how easy it can be. check out https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/ for a easy to understand write up on the wiring. Have fun.

Last edited:
Do a DPFI to MPFI conversion as Fernpatch stated, and then drop a D16A6 in it.

My A6 just gave in at 257K miles.

Back