New amp time...soon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Ok so when me and slammed got my sub working (i had a few things crossed that we didn't take into consideration, his help was 100% accurate) I noticed that the 600 w sub wasn't hitting hard, even with 150 watts going through it...so I now need to buy a new amp...partially cause I'm going to sell this MTX to slammed. lol

Anyway, I got it narrowed down to two amps.

One is from crutchfield and one is from etronics.com. Both are expensive as shit...

Ok

h037a8000t-f_ld.jpeg

Audiobahn A8000T 400W x 1 Car Amplifier
800 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms • Class AB amp • low-pass crossover • bass boost • subsonic filter • preamp outputs • cooling fan with air intake

$369.99

OR

(they didn't have a picture, and this item isn't in stock right now)
Audiobahn A1801T 400 Watts Mono Class A/B Mosfet Car Stereo Amplifier

Features 400 Watts x 1 @ 4 ohms stereo, 560 Watts x 1 @ 2 ohms stereo, RCA Throughput Connections, Cobalt Blue Illumination, Double Sided Glass Epoxy Circuit Board...

$304.99

Should I just save up the extra 65 bucks?? OR does ANYONE know of a better deal for a 400-600 watt single channel amplifier?

Why does everyone love Audiobahn so much? That's what I want to know... they're really not that great.

More stuff from Crutchfield that might suit you better:

Kicker KX350.2, 350x1 RMS, $299.99

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KfwLMOURFEG/c...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Kicker KX450.2, 450x1 RMS, $399.99

MTX Thunder502, 500x1 RMS, $349.99

If you want a bit of a discount on Crutchfield, you can use my referral coupons...

This is what I'm planning to get when I pull the Eclipse amp out of the Civic:

300_4_L.JPG

JL Audio 300/4
75x4 RMS
$370-ish

and one of these:

500_1_L.JPG

JL Audio 500/1
500x1 RMS
$390-ish

They're really not that much more expensive than what you're looking at, but they're MUCH better quality than Audiobahn.

well i just want audiobahn to keep it in the family. I got a kenwood deck and cd changer, and since I already have the audiobahn sub, I want an audiobahn amp to compliment it. However I was just looking at audiobahn amps, I could get any one of those amps... but... 300 watt amps won't cut it. I have a 600 watt sub, so I want something that will compliment it closer like 500-550-600 watts to push the sub to it's fullest.

Kicker amps are always under rated... even the mid grade ones that you can buy in your price range. JL is the same way.

My roommate bought a Kicker amp that was only rated for 120w RMS to one channel- when he opened the box, the bench test card said "212W @ 12.5V". Nice, huh? If you go with a 350W or 450W Kicker, I'm sure you'll get closer to 500-600 watts of juice.

The JL amps use a very nice regulated power supply. No matter what voltage level of juice you feed them, and no matter what impedance of speaker you hook up to them, they always throw out the same amount of power. They're really damn clean, and the good power regulation does a lot to contribute to that.

if its just gonna be an amp for a sub, find yourself an older style (black square) or newer JBL power amp. like the bp600.1 or even the bp300.1, as the 300.1 will push 600 watts rms at 2 ohms. these amps are absolute monsters, and will likely blow away that audiobahn amp. im thinking that if you are looking at audiobahn, then JBL is about the top of the line you wold be looking for, and you can still find the 300.1 amps for around $200 online and about $300 for the 600.1

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 23 2004, 03:22 AM
Why does everyone love Audiobahn so much? That's what I want to know... they're really not that great.

:werd: :withstupid: :concur:

i guess its all about the bling bling y0!

any way if i needed an amp id get either the Memphis 500D or the 1000D

haha yeah, memphis is kick ass, but it might be a little out of his price range...

Some websites that are great for car audio sales are Ikesound.com, cbrstereo.com, thezeb.com
I have a DEI 1100d amp and it is GREAT. 1100rms @ 1ohm or 750 rms@2 ohms. Audiobahn is more show than go. As i have seen many of there amps get fried with normal use(not bashing them, but just saying what i have seen). If you need any help please email me or pm me, i know car audio quite well and almost went to school for it so anything i can do to help let me know.

hey Calesta...i had the JL 250/1 amp hooked up to a JL 10w3 subwoofer in my 90 Civic hatchback, and it was the cleanest sounding amp/sub combo i have heard. it rocked my little hatch and i loved it. was the best $199 i ever spent!! good choice of an amp MIke :thumbsup:

300 is not that much for a decent amp. The alpines are decent amps too. I haven't had a lot of long term experience with any amps, but an alpinev12 sounded really good in my friend's s10 with an mb quart 10

I have kicker ZR240, I just had it sent out to be rebuilt - the thing is sick. The only problem is that isn't an older amp and likes to overheat, but it has overheat sensors anyways - so it's no big deal.

Also rev, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this but you should only really be pushing like 75% of the speakers max power handling if you want it to last. Pushing it too close to max can actually lead to spikes that go over the max power rating and blow the sub. They also wear out extremely fast. It's much better to have a 600 rated sub running 300 watts, than a 350 rated sub running 300. Note that you still are getting the same power from the sub, but it is working much easier.

i cant vouch for jl amps but i have had a jl sub for 6 yrs with no problems, screw audiobahn get a jl if you want performance and quality.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 25 2004, 06:36 PM
Also rev, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this but you should only really be pushing like 75% of the speakers max power handling if you want it to last. Pushing it too close to max can actually lead to spikes that go over the max power rating and blow the sub. They also wear out extremely fast. It's much better to have a 600 rated sub running 300 watts, than a 350 rated sub running 300. Note that you still are getting the same power from the sub, but it is working much easier.

Never heard that... but a 600 w sub running at 300 is half the max capacity, not 75% :p

75% is 450 watts...which is pretty much where I'm aiming for. My manager has a catalog of factory prices for new amps...something like $100 for 450 watts. I'm going to get a hold of this catalog and get a cheaper new good brand name sub. 400-450 watts.

:)

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 25 2004, 06:36 PM

Not exactly correct...

If you have a decent quality speaker, you actually want to push it with MORE power than it's rated for. You don't use all that power- but having more than necessary makes sure that you're always feeding your speaker a clean signal, no matter what volume you play your music at. Distortion kills speakers, not power. Of course, if you're WAY overpowering your speaker, like 2x the rated power or more, you'll start running into overheating problems.

If you only run half the rated power to a sub, your amp will start to distort much sooner- and will destroy the speaker much sooner. 300 into a 600 rated sub is generally less safe than 300 into a 350, not to mention 600 into a 300.

I'm choosing to run a JL 500.1 into a 250W rated 10w3, but I know that the 10w3 can handle the power.

E- Memphis- yech. Memphis = SPL with not much SQ

JBL = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TPP, yeah- JL makes damn good amps. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stay away from audibahn amps. they suck hardcore.

i am, on teh other hand, VERY happy with my coustic 401se amp :)

Well I found, purchased and I am waiting for my new amp.

SPL2400 Series I amp. 2 channel, 400 w amp. Paid 65 bucks for it. :ph34r:

A friend of my manager has access to a wholesale warehouse. Only problem is I have to wait for other people to pay him so it'll be like a week. I'll get it the day I'm busy as fuck and can't put it in too :(

revolution8k i have the same amp with to aw1271ts and i pound the hell out of my block i love the amp only problem is you need a cap if you want to ge the full power out of it i learned the hard way B)

sweet my boss just called me, turns out they're out of the Series I so I'll be getting the Series III spl2400 watt amp. It's 5 bucks more but I don't have to pay for it. Rock on.

Back