new and vtec q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

new2honda

hey hello to every one i am new to the site and new to honda's. i have a 91 crx with a d16 and the question is: i have found what i think is a vtec head the only reason i think it is vtec because its a d16z-something the spark plug holes are at the front is that vtec? and if it is what will it take besides a vtec silanoid and comp? someone said something about the oil not getting to the head? thanks

It's a D16Z6 out of a '92-95 Civic EX or SI(aka "EG" bodystyle)

You already have a vtec selenoid. if you didn't, you'd have oil pumping out of the backside of the head.

vtecnoidlocation.jpg

The Green plug is your vtec oil pressure switch. The wire next to it (should have grey plug, but mine's ghetto rigged) is your Vtec Selenoid activation wire.

You should be running a P28 ECU, which came in all of the '92-'95 civic EX or SI's.
You'll need to buy a conversion harness for your ECU, b/c the p28's are obd-1(along with ALL '92-95 ecu's), and your car is obd-0.
Boomslang Fabrication - Wire Harnesses for Fine Automobiles has great conversion harness' for $115 shipped.

about the oil situation:
Vtec needs more oil pressure when the runners open up, or when vtec 'activates'.
If you don't have a vtec ecu, it's obviously not going to 'activate' vtec, and it will not use force more oil into your head, because it doesnt need to.

Back