new b18a1 in rex problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pappaj

Finally got my axle situation straitened out, but I'm having a few problems with the way the car runs. Problem #1 When I start the car when it is still warm the rpm's go up to 2000 for about 4 seconds then suddenly drop to about 800 surge back up to 1700 or so then drops back down and idles perfect. ???? Wondering if anyone has seen a similar problem or has and idea what to check. Problem #2 Sometimes when I pull away from a stop if I put the gas pedal down about half way the car feels like it is going to stall it bogs right out. Pretty much all the time while driving the car feels pretty sluggish in low rpm's, possibly due to the gutted cat.???? I am not sure maybe it runs proper but my old dohc zc seemed to have more torque then this motor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody? I talked to a guy in town today who does engine swaps in his shop. He said I need adjustable fpr and to upgrade to integra fuel pump. Does anyone have opinions. Is there a difference in pressure from stock crx to integra pump pressure? He says this should help with the mysterious bog.

fluctuating idle is usually a problem with the EACV, plugged PCV valve or a vacuum leak - to check the EACV, with engine running, unplug the connector to the EACV - the idle should drop down to around 500 rpm and remain steady (you will get a Check Engine Light and code for EACV and will need to reset the ECU after you figure it out) - if it drops down and remains steady, the problem is with the EACV - if it still fluctuates, you need to look elsewhere, probably a vacuum leak

I have the same issue with my swap, found it to be the FITV the plunger inside there is lined with wax and wears out causing the surging, mine goes away after the temp. is up so im just going to leave it, and yes the EACV can also cause the issue test that too.

The problem is only when you start the car. When you start it the car revs to 2000rpm for about 5 seconds, then drops to 750 for a second, then jumps back up to close to 2000 for a second then drops back down and idles perfect. After that it idles good. It does this every time it is started while already warm. When the car is cold it just idles at about 2000rpms and gradually drops down as it warms up.

I had the same issue with mine and when the car warms up it would stop but only if I let it idle 1st for 5mins or so then drive it. What I did is use seafoam and it cleared it up. I can get in it start it up and go without the fluctuating idle. Just my 2 cents

yea like the other guy said i would check your fitv located beneath the throttle body. its held on with 3 10mm bolts. The white piece inside backs out over time and if thats the case for you, all you need to do is tighten it back up into the housing. also the fitv is in charge of controlling the idle on startup, and once the car is warmed up the iacv takes over.

P1010534.jpg

Back