New B18C EG swap - Only 4000 rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Baryndor

I just finished my first swap. It took me a while but I made sure I had all the correct parts. I also did an auto to manual conversion.

Everything is great except for one thing. When I rev or accelerate the car will not go past 4000 rpm's.

I have a new distributor, plugs that are gaped correctly, an OBD 2 JDM B18C, OBD 1 harness and chipped P28. My connections are all secure as well. Here is a list of the things he did to the chip. I am ignorant on ecu's so I'm not sure what some of them are.

VTEC: 4800RPM
Redline: 9000RPM
Launch Control: 4000RPM
Full Throttle Shift: 8500RPM
Shift Light: 8500RPM (Check Engine Lights Up)
02 sensor: DISABLED
Knock Sensor: DISABLED
Speed Limiter: DISABLED

Any ideas? Could the guy that programmed my chip have done something wrong?

Thanks in advance guys.

Probably the chipping is indeed bad; ~4000rpm rev limit is commonly associated with limp mode. I'm assuming all wiring is "stock"?

Try another ECU and see if that works or try to unhook the jumper for for the ECU so it runs the stock P28 map.

Yes, all the wiring is stock.

Will the car run all right if it is running off the P28 without the chip? What can I expect to happen?

Have you notified the guy who programmed the ECU for you? If you paid him money for this, then I'd take it back to him and let him know that it doesn't work right...

I tried, but the guy lives in Canada, and won't return any form of communication. That's what I get for using someone on Ebay with a reccomendation.

Lesson learned.

Never use ebay for important things like ecus but dont feel bad it happens to the best of us just get it rechipped

Where is a good place to get a new chip at? Can someone point me in the right direction?

car is in limp mode. something with the feedback its getting in open loop. or just plain out- ECU prob, u said u had it chipped.

I would look into any B series VTEC OBD1 ECU. You can pick up a JDM P30 pretty easy. I am pretty sure you need the P28 chipped in some way to properly run a B18C.
Can you borrow anything from someone close? That's what I would try before spending money.

Why can't it be something with the dizzy? You say its new....OEM? OBD1?
OBD1 alternator?

Oh....sorry to ask but is there any check engine lights?

Sounds like the launch control is at fault, only if your VSS is dead. I read that if you Vehicle Speed Sensor isnt working the car thinks its at a stand still and only revs to where ever the launch control is set to. Does your speedometer/odometer/tripometer work? eBay has brandy new VSS for sale REAL cheap and I think free shipping. If your speed sensor is working properly then the work of chipping the ECU is probably at fault. OBD1 P72 should work perfect. I know its been a while, but I hope that helps.

Back