new cam and aem cam gear but can't get timing right please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racejunkie

hello all,

i have a 90 civic si with the d16a6. I purchased an exospeed reground stage 2 cam and an aem adj cam gear. I replaced them a year ago and haven't started the car yet. (wainting to paint the car). Now that I'm trying to get the car running, the car won't start. I remember having a hard time when I replaced them becasue the old stock cam gear has the notch for tdc. But the new gear didn't have it.

Anyone out there know how to get the car timed right. I checked my firing order, and reversed the distributor thinking it could be 180 out. But still nothing. I do have spark and have replaced the plugs and put new gas in it (parked it with fumes). I also tried using starting fluid. Not even a sputter. My only thoughts are that when I installed the belt the head wasn't in tdc (the bottom end was at tdc #1 cyl).

How do you know when the head/cam is in tdc?

Please Help!!! and thanks!!!

well first off your distributor should only go in one way so you shouldn't be 180 out unless you forced the distributor on there, another thing is that your head i think may have marks on each side and your new adj. cam gear should have two marks on each side showing the two marks your suppose to line up with your head and your crank will have marks on the gear with the block line then up make sure when you making sure when you check the belt that the timing marks are not off by a few teeth. there are free manuals on the web where you can download the manual for free and you can check to make sure that what im telling you is correct.
hope this helps if not use google helped me out a lot when needing diagrams and stuff.

Back