New Car -> Not Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

3800 is a pain in the ass to work on!

it has better power than i thought and keeps on pulling pretty good.

the bad thing is if you beat on it expect a bit of rod knock.

I hate those damn things.

nice that you like it. but I just hate them. I dont even know why. I hate almost anything Pontiac makes, but I like most Chevy's.

yeah, i was just playing.

i actually was considering swapping that motor into my 3.1 z24 for a while. hehe the good old days of when i didn't know better :D

i know man^_^ And yeah, I remember those days, luckily I found civicland and hs to guide me in the right direction!

Love the 3800. Best V6 GM ever put out imo. Always wanted to put a gtp motor in a fiero.

I love it too, it makes decent power and seems very simple and straight forward to modify. Plus i love that it already has a supercharger. If it didnt, I dont think I'd have a car with boost for a very long time as it would be expensive(ie more than i can afford for awhile) to get it all set up, and its easier to modify since it already has it, just drop pulley sizes when i have enough supporting mods to fight kr

3800 is a pain in the ass to work on!

it has better power than i thought and keeps on pulling pretty good.

the bad thing is if you beat on it expect a bit of rod knock.

Yeah, main thing i hear about everywhere is watch for kr, gotta get me a scanner and see what kind of knock im getting now. Seems simple to prevent it though, open it up to breath a bit better, keep it running cooler with cooler tstat and plugs, all simple stuff.

Especially since i just want it to be a fun dd, wont need much to make me happy, though we all know how when that modding bug bites, it bites hard.

i've wrenched on 3800s. 3400s, and ANYTHING other than doing the basic oil change is a pain. even swapping out the air filter is retarded. book time for a tech on a timing chain is 9 hours. to replace passenger side motor mount is almost impossible. and the biggest problem with these engines is that they leak every fluid possible. the transmission will only last 50 to 60k miles, if you're lucky ( being heavy footed makes it worse) suspension issues will arrise after 20 to 30k miles.... i can go on. my 94 civic 4 door sedan has 120k and is on it's original suspension... although i should probably check out that rattle.... oh well. american cars suck, a 2009 unibody construction fwd gm vehicle still bears the same resemblance to a car from 1989 with the sheetmetal stripped away.... the 3800 series engineis still mechanically identical from 1986 to 2009..... enough said. they sucked then, they suck now. the only good thing about these cars is that when they do break down with all of their pain in the assness, i can charge more to repair them.... because they are a pain in the ass. and they WILL break down. don't feel so bad about them anymore...

i've wrenched on 3800s. 3400s, and ANYTHING other than doing the basic oil change is a pain. even swapping out the air filter is retarded. book time for a tech on a timing chain is 9 hours. to replace passenger side motor mount is almost impossible. and the biggest problem with these engines is that they leak every fluid possible. the transmission will only last 50 to 60k miles, if you're lucky ( being heavy footed makes it worse) suspension issues will arrise after 20 to 30k miles.... i can go on. my 94 civic 4 door sedan has 120k and is on it's original suspension... although i should probably check out that rattle.... oh well. american cars suck, a 2009 unibody construction fwd gm vehicle still bears the same resemblance to a car from 1989 with the sheetmetal stripped away.... the 3800 series engineis still mechanically identical from 1986 to 2009..... enough said. they sucked then, they suck now. the only good thing about these cars is that when they do break down with all of their pain in the assness, i can charge more to repair them.... because they are a pain in the ass. and they WILL break down. don't feel so bad about them anymore...

At 62,5XX miles and trasmission is running fine, shifts smooth, handles everything... My moms went well over that with no problems at all as well... Suspension is fine and 2-3 times over what you said, no problems at all, feels fine, no noises, rides smooth, handles everything well; same with my moms car... Engine not leaking anything, anywhere, everything looks mechanically solid. Have seen and been in other pontiacs(& gm cars) in the 100k's with no transmission problems or suspension problems ever.

Also had a buick from about 45-75K, same as the grand prix, everything was good with it, no transmission problems, no suspension problems, no leaking of anything. Was 100% reliable and good to keep other than the fact that I wanted a CRX.

Spent more money on repairs on both my civic and crx then i did on the buick. Have had problems with things leaking on them. Dunno, never had any problems with any gm cars ive delt with or heard from people I know that have had them. Chevy too. Ford on the other hand is another story.

my problem with gm's is not the motors. i think the motors are pretty good.

its just the rest of the car around it sucks.

too many stupid things break.... windows off track, plastics crack from the sun, wipers, etc etc

i miss my 88 oldsmobile :( rod through the block at 221k...had a friggin couch for a backseat, ohhhh the shit i did in that car.. whoooo goodtimes

too many stupid things break.... windows off track, plastics crack from the sun, wipers, etc etc

haha yep!! 4 door delta 88..drivers window ALWAYS fell off track, dash was sooper warped from the sun and only 2 of the 4 doors opened.. was down to 1 when it blew up..did mad burnouts tho!

That I can see. I foget which it was of my cars that had the window go off the track, i think it was the Civic.... But yeah, i could see the body quality not being so good. Some things i've noticed on the GP that could be better, but nothing that really bothers me or is all that bad.

haha yep!! 4 door delta 88..drivers window ALWAYS fell off track, dash was sooper warped from the sun and only 2 of the 4 doors opened.. was down to 1 when it blew up..did mad burnouts tho!

haha, that sounds like a very, interesting, car to have fun with. gotta love cars like that

Parents had a 92 lesabre. that think would not fucking die. it had 140k and my dad wrecked it. My buddy had one too. We fucking dukes of hazzarded it over railroad tracks, and it was fine. Love the susp. in those things. Dyna ride kicks ass. Ironically he traded it in on a GP GT. Identical to that one, nix the super. Didn't notice if it had a spoiler, but if it does, make sure you keep an eye out under there. Likes to hold water and rust.
As far as model, I prefer chevy. Good drivetrains. You can fix the rest, but it's hard to get around fixing a car whos manufacturer puts out shit for engines or trannies. I.E. you see 5 s10s to 1 ranger that someone has chopped, or customized. The 2.8 is a good engine. The tranny is nice and strong, and it lasts a long time. the trannys they put in the fords suck. I've seen 3 of my own, and 2 of one friends, and one of another's that the tranny went out on. 3 auto and 3 manual. Thats why I'm partial to chevy.

Back