Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 01+ GTI

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • EP3 Civic Si

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • RSX-S

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hosmer

I made the millionth post
VIP
This is all if the BRAND NEW car doesn't work out...they have until the end of the month to get it in or I'm getting my DP back and going for something used.

These are what I'm looking at:

1. jumping on the Suby bandwagon and getting an 02-03 bugeye WRX

2. 01+ GTI..1.8t

3. Audi TT Q (a 225hp/6 speed one of course)

4. going cheap(er) and building an EP3

5. RSX-S

basicly, I'm topping out at $15k...anything up there can be had for that kind of money with decently low miles...except the EP3 which I can pick up all day for $9-$10k

I really like the idea of a newer turbo/AWD car...the only ones I've owned are DSM's and an 88 All-trac Celica. Obviously the WRX has retarded aftermarket support, but the TT hasn't been left high and dry. Also, not every other dude on the block is rockin a modified Audi...but I don't know much about problems with either car.

The EP3 and the RSX keep me in the family, but then I'm back on the FF N/A platform (the car I have on order is the same setup, but its new so I'll deal with it)...I <3 hondas, but not counting parts cars I've owned about 30

GTI...german, leather, turbo, hatch...I can see myself in one

opinions?
other suggestions?

If you dont mind grabbin your ankles to buy parts, get the audi.
Same for GTI.
Subes are OK, but yeah, EVERYONE has one.
Hondas suck, so don't bother with the EP3 or RSX:ph34r:

I'd say go for the GTI.

The audi is nice, but maintenance and parts are a huge issue. My buddy said his timing belt was $2,000-$3,000 and had to be done around 60,000miles.

Every maintenance trip to the dealer is $500 he said.

Diagnostics, like to run an OBD-II port scan on why his check engine light came on costs him $200.

They told him it was a problem with one of his cats and wanted around a thousand dollars to begin to tear into it. It turned out that it was just a short or a loose wire.

But with that said, chip the audi and do some slight mods and its hands down the best looker, best performer, and biggest status symbol. You pay for it in convenience and in parts/maintenance.

Pick your poison.

I drive the WRX and was daydreaming about buying a Legacy GT, putting springs in it, AccessPORT, and swaybars and being happy with a respectable car when I get out of college and start a nice sales job. The WRX is stupid fast right now, atleast for me, but its a boy racer type car with my carbon fiber hood and huge hood scoop and such.

Did your buddy end up selling that black EP3 ?

02 wrx wagon FTW

If I were doing the wagon, I would get the Saabaru.

S4 is going to have crazy costs associated with it. I always tell the story of a buddy of mine selling his S4 because it was too much to afford to try to keep it on the road. He literally had 4 cars on the road for cheaper than the S4. He bought a dodge dakota, jeep wrangler, grand prix, and something else that he had on the road. He said it was cheaper that way.

He sold his RSX to buy the S4 and didn't realize how much the S4 would cost.

wow! thats a good price.

however... silver subaru wrx wagon + tint + yellow fogs w/sti covers + skid bar with hella driving lamps + pinks + accessport + borla hush + up-pipe = do me. (looks for silver wagon in area... hmmmmm)

Last edited:
That intercooler looks like shit. All the fins are bent ridiculously.

He says he has a reflash but doesn't mention by who or any other engine management on an upgraded car.

Supposedly the car has 21k and he did all those mods and some hack job stuff i.e., no listed engine management, beat up and bent intercooler, no name uppipe its just listed as stainless steel so I'm going to assume that its an ebay pipe, etc.

Upon further inspection he has a '02 2.0L intake manifold on the car, not the STi wrinkle red intake manifold. He doesn't list what injectors he's using for that IHI turbo. He needs atleast STi pinks in the car but I'm not sure if he's top feed or side feed with that car. I wonder if he had the stock 2.0L injectors cut and capped or what he did. Stockers from a 2.0L would be way over maxed for a IHI turbo. He did do the walboro fuel pump though.

I'm just very suspicious of a deal such as this one. I bought my '02 WRX with a few mods, including a catback, short shifter, and engine management with 24,000 miles for $14,250 last year. The car was in prestine condition and it was a steal - there was nothing else around in that price range. I don't think I'd let my car go for less than $14,000 with the 37,000 miles the car has on it now and all the mods that are done to it - and I didn't do a huge swap like this guy. Something just seems to be up.

My vote is still for the Audi TT chipped + modded if you can afford it and can afford the inconvenience.
If not my vote is for the Saabaru for luxury and daily driveability with the convenience of a wagon.
And then the WRX, but at this point I think I would only buy the 2.5L WRX. I wish I either bought the STi or waited until '06 at this point. I can kill STis with my mods but the daily driveability in the smaller displacement engine isn't there, nor is the potential of the bigger engine - with under $1,000 a STi should be able to beat me in most categories.

Last edited:
no wagons...period

the 02+ S4's are still doing $20k+...so no good

..that black WRX has no engine management/tuning....it was on ebay and couldn't really be driven far (sold for $13,500)
-I would love a black one though

I have to go drive a TT and make sure I even fit in the thing...saw one today and really made me want one

Last edited:
I have to go drive a TT and make sure I even fit in the thing...saw one today and really made me want one
I can't believe I'm the only one that voted for the TT. But you bring up a good point. I actually doubt you will fit comfortably into it. I drove one once and remember that it was a little tight and I'm 5'11", 200lbs. Nothing like a Miata but definitely something you need to look into. Still such a bad ass twin turbo.

I personally say the RSX.

with a $15K limit, you can get the RSX for what? 7-9K and then have several thousand dollars left for modifications. you could turbo the thing with a desent kit and still have money left over.

also you can always swap the engine in the RSX, engines for honda's are readily availible.

Not to knock the TT, but my brother had one. Lasted him 4 months.

After he chipped the ecu, and did a forged diverter valve the air pump mysterious went out. He had it chipped and tuned at a big name shop in Bellevue, that only deals with VW'/Audi's so it was legit. In a month of spirited driving on it, more stuff went. Little sensors here and there. Then on his 3rd month of owning the car the turbo went. The car had 60,000 miles on it. My dad knows the owner of European Auto Connection so he got a great deal on all this maintenance, and it still cost him near 5k in the 4 months.

To me, not worth it, as it wasn't even that quick. His type S he has now is much quicker with just a SRI.

I can't believe I'm the only one that voted for the TT. But you bring up a good point. I actually doubt you will fit comfortably into it. I drove one once and remember that it was a little tight and I'm 5'11", 200lbs. Nothing like a Miata but definitely something you need to look into. Still such a bad ass twin turbo.

I didn't vote, but that was my vote.

And its a single turbo, not twin turbo.

Back