New Car Purchase

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Which crank sensor is a motherfucker to replace??? V6 or V8 regardless, doesn't take but two minutes or less...pop off the air cleaner, lean over the engine, stick your hand down there with an E8, pop it out, unplug, plug in new sensor, pop back in, tighten bolt, slap air cleaner back on.

I dunno, unless you got the arms of Miley Cirus but longer then ya, I'm sure its easy to fit between the head of the engine and the firewall. My arm barely fit to get back there to line up the socket, since I couldn't see back there. I guess now I know to try from more on the side of the motor to get to it?

I did replace the brake switch recently since it did actually go out and the car wouldn't go out of park. I replaced it about 5 months ago and the lights are still on. However, they are off when I do a cold start (meaning it was damn cold through the night) and after a few minutes of driving they'll come back on and stay on.

Is the recall for the same brake switch I replaced? If so that sucks mine went out right before the recall. :(

Cruise control works fine.

Last edited:
You're aware that there's a class-action lawsuit regarding the balance shafts, and that it includes vehicles thru 2010, right?

I can't believe that you'd say that I've been replacing balance shafts for the wrong code. You shouldn't ever replace ANYTHING just because of a code- especially not something that expensive and potentially harmful if misdiagnosed. I've replaced balance shafts because they're faulty and worn out, causing the camshafts to go out of adjustment. I have yet to pull apart a 272 that I diagnosed as having a balance shaft issue and find an undamaged balance shaft.

ANY codes regarding the camshafts being out of adjustment can be caused by balance shaft.
The initial few service bulletins apply to all fault codes relevant to camshaft position, including P0015 thru P0017, as well as P0021 thru P0025, P0059, P0060, P0064, P0272, P0275, and P0276. I notice the bulletin you posted is from May of this year, which is interesting...it also only mentions 2 codes in the title of the bulletin, which is also interesting.

The fault may or may not read on one or all of the camshafts. When the balance shaft gets chewed up it causes slack in the chain, and will let one of the camshafts get out of adjustment ever so slightly. Doesn't necessarily have to read on all of the sensors - doesn't even necessarily have to have a code at all. The best way to check is to clear the code and start the vehicle, and if the code doesn't return immediately it's more than likely a solenoid or a sensor. If it DOES return before you can drive the vehicle out of the shop, it's the balance shaft.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that a dealer tech would say that it only happens on 2006's...the first bulletin for the balance shaft issue didn't come out until 2009, and it included ANY fault code related to the camshafts...another bulletin that came out in later 2009 went on to include any multiple faults stored in the DME! But then again, Mercedes has denied it so long and refused to admit that there was ever an issue to the point that there's a gigantic class-action suit going on against them for it. Like I said earlier, dealerships equipped with naive, underexperienced techs that know everything there is to know about everything is the reason that I make an honest living. Keep it up :)

edit: For what it's worth, I called three other Mercedes techs that I'm good friends with at three different dealerships (one in Dallas, one in Louisiana, and one in Chicago) to check myself, and told them that I'd been told by an MB tech that Mercedes installed updated balance shafts in 2006 and newer 272's. All three of them laughed out loud, literally. Clark even yelled across the shop at a few other techs 'Hey guys, we're safe! Apparently Mercedes started installing updated balance shafts in 2006 production, so we don't have to worry about doing any balance shafts on cars newer than 07!'. I could hear the other techs laughing as well.

Last edited:
You're aware that there's a class-action lawsuit regarding the balance shafts, and that it includes vehicles thru 2010, right?

I can't believe that you'd say that I've been replacing balance shafts for the wrong code. You shouldn't ever replace ANYTHING just because of a code- especially not something that expensive and potentially harmful if misdiagnosed. I've replaced balance shafts because they're faulty and worn out, causing the camshafts to go out of adjustment. I have yet to pull apart a 272 that I diagnosed as having a balance shaft issue and find an undamaged balance shaft.

ANY codes regarding the camshafts being out of adjustment can be caused by balance shaft.
The initial few service bulletins apply to all fault codes relevant to camshaft position, including P0015 thru P0017, as well as P0021 thru P0025, P0059, P0060, P0064, P0272, P0275, and P0276. I notice the bulletin you posted is from May of this year, which is interesting...it also only mentions 2 codes in the title of the bulletin, which is also interesting.

The fault may or may not read on one or all of the camshafts. When the balance shaft gets chewed up it causes slack in the chain, and will let one of the camshafts get out of adjustment ever so slightly. Doesn't necessarily have to read on all of the sensors - doesn't even necessarily have to have a code at all. The best way to check is to clear the code and start the vehicle, and if the code doesn't return immediately it's more than likely a solenoid or a sensor. If it DOES return before you can drive the vehicle out of the shop, it's the balance shaft.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that a dealer tech would say that it only happens on 2006's...the first bulletin for the balance shaft issue didn't come out until 2009, and it included ANY fault code related to the camshafts...another bulletin that came out in later 2009 went on to include any multiple faults stored in the DME! But then again, Mercedes has denied it so long and refused to admit that there was ever an issue to the point that there's a gigantic class-action suit going on against them for it. Like I said earlier, dealerships equipped with naive, underexperienced techs that know everything there is to know about everything is the reason that I make an honest living. Keep it up :)
We can ONLY get approval from MB for these repairs if the codes above are shown. We need proof that the repair is needed. We can't just rip into a vehicle like an independant shop can. I never once said you have been repairing good balance shafts. I was simply stating that, based on your given code, that repair isn't necessary, acording to MB. Now, are they always right? Lol, fuck no. We all know that.

No where did I ever say I know everything. I'm actually trying to show you what I have to go by and i'm trying to learn what you, and others, have ACTUALLY been seeing out in the real world. No where did I say you were wrong. The "lol" at the end of my last post that said you were changing them for the wrong code was supposed to show sarcasm, guess that point never got across since you went straight into defense mode.

We can ONLY get approval from MB for these repairs if the codes above are shown. We need proof that the repair is needed. We can't just rip into a vehicle like an independant shop can. I never once said you have been repairing good balance shafts. I was simply stating that, based on your given code, that repair isn't necessary, acording to MB. Now, are they always right? Lol, fuck no. We all know that.

No where did I ever say I know everything. I'm actually trying to show you what I have to go by and i'm trying to learn what you, and others, have ACTUALLY been seeing out in the real world. No where did I say you were wrong. The "lol" at the end of my last post that said you were changing them for the wrong code was supposed to show sarcasm, guess that point never got across since you went straight into defense mode.

Didn't mean to come off as such a dick, my bad. I misunderstood your post. I apologize. I'll explain more in the PM I'm about to send you.

That's retarded what you're being told and shown regarding all that stuff though. I don't miss working for dealers at all though, and having to do so much extra bullshit to repair something that you already know needs to be repaired.

Didn't mean to come off as such a dick, my bad. I misunderstood your post. I apologize. I'll explain more in the PM I'm about to send you.

That's retarded what you're being told and shown regarding all that stuff though. I don't miss working for dealers at all though, and having to do so much extra bullshit to repair something that you already know needs to be repaired.
PM Replied :)

Nice score. I almost got an employee lease plan on an S4, until we found out lease plan vehicles are a 3 month wait time and only 6 month lease.

Working at a highline dealer has its perks though.
Still, seems that as much as they try and hide it, every big German MFG has its huge problems. We had issues with oil pump drive gear bolt coming loose on the 07-08 3.6 VR6 engines in the Q7's. You get the fault for cam shaft allocation and oil pressure light on start up and you know the engine is coming out. I've done two so far, but back in the day is was a lot more common.

I hate Q7's.:mad:

Back