new cd player

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX_Si

i have a crx with an old panasonic cd player that was in it when i bought it. since then i have installed infinity refrence series 3 way 6"x9"s in the rear and matching 6 1/2"s in the front. i would like to buy a new cd player that would compliment my speakers. i want it to play mp3 cds but to be under $300. what would you recomend? thanks-david

Ken mp553, or something close to it. Its a decent mp3 player that is Sirus ready. I got mine at circuit city last week for 199 plus I got a free receiver box for the sirus radio. It was in the store for 249 but I saw it on their website for 199. I would check the website price before you buy it, if you this.

Crotchfield's got this Alpine on sale for $300:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-yv3Dn...a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

h500CDA7995-f-1.jpeg

There's a few Alpine models less than $300 that decode MP3s also- so I'm sure you could find them locally at a shop for less if you can trip on a sale. Retail on that pictured model is like $500, and the sound is top notch- and Alpine's MP3 decoders are definitely superior to Kenwood's. I've heard both- Kenwood's top line Excelon MP3 decoder and a few Alpines from bottom end (housemate's) to top end (mine), and they're both much better than Kenwood's decoder.

crotchfields is expensive. buy local you can get shit cheaper.

Like this Xplod deck I'm getting. It's $330 or so on crutchfield, but it's around $226-250 at best buy and other local places:

h158cdxm800-o_angl.jpeg

h158cdxm800-f.jpeg

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Oct 9 2003, 10:34 PM-->
crotchfields is expensive. buy local you can get shit cheaper.

Yes, but:

Calesta
@Oct 9 2003, 10:08 PM
so I'm sure you could find them locally at a shop for less if you can trip on a sale

Crutchfield (Crotchfield) is a great place to find specs on stuff though, and quite a few times it's really not that much cheaper to get things locally, especially after you add tax in there.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 10 2003, 03:45 AM
Crutchfield (Crotchfield) is a great place to find specs on stuff though, and quite a few times it's really not that much cheaper to get things locally, especially after you add tax in there.

It is, I'll give you that

...but the price difference within my deck...it's $226 at best buy versus $330 from crutchfield, that is a BIG difference...not one that will be made up by taxes. ;)

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 9 2003, 10:53 PM
...but the price difference within my deck...it's $226 at best buy versus $330 from crutchfield, that is a BIG difference...not one that will be made up by taxes. ;)

Yup. There you go. :)

I usually just get an online cheapo price and take it in to Tweeter to have them match it.

:lol:

thanks, i like the kenwood and the alpine. the sony just isnt my style. i think i am going to buy from a local shop because i am friends with the owner. but no discount :(

Originally posted by CRX_Si@Oct 12 2003, 09:38 AM
thanks, i like the kenwood and the alpine. the sony just isnt my style. i think i am going to buy from a local shop because i am friends with the owner. but no discount :(

Go on ebay and look for an Alpine cda 9807! It will cost you $230 including shipping and the unit rocks!! Has eveything you need!!

alpine 7894 owner here. that headunit has been through 4 vehicles in the last year with the only problem being that i had trouble with it shutting off at 18+ volume because i was too lazy to run the yellow fuse wire into an ignition wire and the unit wasnt getting enough power.

Crutchfield sux and so does Sony Explod. Go local to get the best deal. As far as the MP3 lineup for under $300, a JVC or Panasonic would be your best bet. The Alpine will be a little more pricey, but you get what you pay for

Im my time driving I have had alpine, sony, kenwood, and now eclipse. I don't have expert knowledge but I do know that my eclipse deck is by far the best sounding deck that I have had. I got it local from a pricy shop and it still was only 300.00 or so. It plays mp3's and has cd security, just my .02

Originally posted by mdanielswv18@Oct 14 2003, 02:26 PM
Crutchfield sux and so does Sony Explod.

Got any personal experiences to back that statement up? :newbie:

Originally posted by mdanielswv18@Oct 14 2003, 09:26 AM
The Alpine will be a little more pricey, but you get what you pay for

You can get quite a few Alpine MP3 units for under $300.

Back