New Cellphone Time . . need your input!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
My horrible 2 year sprint PCS contract is up in exactly one month.

I am SO glad.

SO I now need a new phone, and since most of you are more phone savvy than I am, I will tell you what I would like to do/get out of a cellphone.

1.) I want to be able to check email and Google maps, and possibly browse the internet (internet not necessary tho . .)
3.) 500 text msgs would be good.
4.) I want a phone that fits in my pocket . . mind you I live in NYC, and our pants are, well, not exactly lose lol.
5.) A blackberry is out of the question, as is the "iRipoff" from AT&T.

What do you guys suggest?

Thx!

I talk for about 2k minutes weekly.

Hrm, i guess it could be a regular type cellphone . .

basically any phone these days with the internet is gonna have google maps and email capability

i'd find a plan from a carrier you like and start there.. check the rates for Verizon, ATT, tmobile..

Verizon has a large selection of phones available..

Last edited:
Hrm ok then. I guess i should probably try and find a plan that doesnt raep me on the data usage . . .

What are your thoughts on buying unlocked phones and then finding a carrier?

if its an unlocked phone then you only have so many options as carriers.. Verizon doesnt use the sim card thing like ATT, t-mobile..

Hrm, how big is the helio ocean?

comparisonChart.jpg

Cool. Those are some good ideas. Ill have to go look at phones this weekend.

I'd give u rep, but i have already lol.

I was going to say the Blackberry Pearl.

Lighter and smaller than my last phone, its all I could ever ask for out of a cell phone.

I chose it over the Samsung Sync and the Samsung D800 for a few reasons. The Sync seems like a real nice phone, except it looks like its going to have a streak of problems like the Motorola did, plus it doesn't have that great of navigation or cell reception. That killed that option for me. The D800 is a slider phone and awesome but AT&T was just phasing that phone out and I wanted as new as phone as possible that I could buy when my plan was up.

Verizon did not offer any interesting phones to myself. All seemed flimsy and cheap, meanwhile their data plan sucks. The data plan at AT&T is expensive enough, forget about trying to get a data plan through Verizon.

LG chocolate is garbage but supposedly the revised edition is supposed to have fixed all the previous problems.

Samsung has some interesting phones out to Verizon but they cost a good buck to buy plus the 2year contract. If you can negotiate the price, I'd think about it.

Samsung has this phone that has a normal keybad when you flip the keypad on its side, but the phone could also open the same way as a traditional flip phone. It gives versatility and is nice.

In the end, like I said I went with the Blackberry Pearl. It cost me $100 without mail in rebate, if I bought the data plan, it would have been free to me.

I love my SK3. It is a bit bulky, but I pay a buck a day for unlimited text, data, web, IM, etc. My airtime is separate, but I don't use that phone for calls. My nextel handles all my phone calls since i'm not happy with T-Mobile's clarity. Although, I must say phone calls aren't bad with the SK3. The design is a bit odd, but it's WAY better than the other phones I looked at almost a year ago.

I liked the Pearl, but the keys were too odd to work with for me... I like the QWERTY full board. That's just me, though.

Not exactly Helio territory, but my boss has the Samsung Blackjack from Cingular, and it's really nice. I personally rock a Samsung Sync, and I love it. But I think you are looking for more features.

Back