New clutch ordered, yaaaaay

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
The Centerforce clutch is just not cutting it for me anymore. I get about 15 minutes of hard driving before it starts slipping like crazy now. I ordered a Exedy Stg2 this morning :) It was recommended to me by a friend with a turbo Teg. He's making a lil over 300whp and said even his Exedy stg1 held on for quite awhile.

Did I make the right choice?

Do I need a different flywheel? Do they have different surfaces on them that provide more grip?

I went with exedy's organic clutch they seem to be a lil tougher. nothing wrong with a stage 2 exedy. I also went with a chromolly flywheel by ACT instead of the super light flywheels. You can eat them up quick. and the Chromolly is still a lot lighter than stock...

for our horsepower ranges, Exedy does a fine job - I used it in my D15 engine config in myC Civic. ACT is the only brand to be considered in the top ranges of grip, consistency and cost.

Centerforce f*ckin blows, 6 ways to sunday.

Tell me about it :roll: It didnt even last 10K miles!!!

i have an exedy OE disk and it can't hang with a sohc turbo...

flywheel = fidanza with replaceable plate
or take your stocker and give it a little resurfacing with a DA
grips a little harsh though

i'm still debating what disk i should get to replace the exedy OE

My buddy running the organic stg1 raved about it, but I was scared to go with a stg1 since I'll be throwing another 100hp at it soon.

My buddy running the organic stg1 raved about it, but I was scared to go with a stg1 since I'll be throwing another 100hp at it soon.

Ya i wished they made the organic in a stage 2... It's going to be a while before i go boost and i only plan on pushing it to 300 hp or so...

I want 300ish now and then rebuild the motor when i toast it and make ??? 4-500? You think its possible to do a basic build up and make 500whp on a F22 SOHC?

have you considered the SOHC vtec head?

i would imagine you can push those numbers
not sure what the crank will hold

I thought about swapping to the B1 head, when I rebuild that will prolly be on the list. Get a few extra ponies with the vtech yo!

phones don't add horsepower silly

i would be willing to bet that was intentional.

i have an exedy stage 2 on my sr20det. it grabs great. not the best for daily driver though. i talked with the guys from exedy when they were here for formula d. they said that's how it's suppose to be. it's like firing a rifle, you just let off a little. then a little more, then BAM it engages. you have to feather it a lot of you don't want it to jerk.

^I'd rather that then whats happening now. If I shift quick between gears and slip the clutch the slightest bit, its OVER!! It will slip like crazy until I let the car cool all the way down :( Fuck Centerforce!!!!

The Vtech was intentional ;)

My centerforce in the 4Runner lasted for a LONG time. I mean a LONG GODDAM TIME. But everytime you hit the pedal, it was a different clutch. Sometimes it caught low, sometimes it was high. Sometimes you could take your foot completely off of it, then hit the gas. I went back to a Toyota OEM friction plate FTMFW.

My stock clutch held up longer and stronger then the Centerforce.

Weird thing is my dad has the same model clutch, Dual Friction, in his Cuda. He's making a lil over 650rwhp and the clutch works like a champ for him. BUT, it also has the weights in the center to help the pressure plate hold.

well, any of the advertised heavy duty clutches will hold.....IF...

the most common mistake that people who do their clutches and it slips is they take the disk to a shitty mechanic, and they grind the face of the flywheel down, and they didn't take anything off from the area where the flanges are bolted to...inither words...your cutting where the pressure needs to be exerted, and the device holding the pressure is getting farther away...a few thousandth will make a lot of slipping....and most people don't even know if the disk they are re-facing has been done at least once before or not. Only real mechanics will measure, cut, remeasure, and balance the flywheel properly before giving it back to the customer to install.

I had many problems with slipping clutches, I got my tricks down and never had a problem since I've tricked out the clutchs I've done. I even mix and match to get better results, and ...welp...trade secrets.

And ACT heavy duty PP, with an Autozone disk FTW....best setup I've done...never had a single slip....on the honda, and red Z...but I needed a little more bite, so the red Z got a 6-puck springless race disk...and still no problems.

Back