New Computer Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
whoops sorry, should of made this clear..

I went with

AMD 3700+
Asus a8n sli mobo
2 gigs of oz2 platinum series ram
msi 6600gt
Thermaltake SONIC TOWER 4 in 1 heatpipe cooler

that heatsink is HUGE. It might not fit in your case.

I got a similar setup. It's being delivered today actually.

3700+ San Diego core
DFI Infinity NF4-U (don't need/want SLI)
EVGA 7800GT
Thermalright XP-120 and a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan.
Thermaltake 500watt PSU with the 24-pin ATX connector

yea I haven't test fitted it yet but the case is huge as hell, But yea I was suprised when I saw that shit when i recieved it yesterday, pretty damn big

Do you plan on over clocking? I heard that processor is oc friendly so I was thinking around 2.8 if possible..

one problem though, I have no idea how to go about overclocking.. haha im a computer hardware noob

im thinking about sending back the 6600gt for the 7800 though, still not sure

I have never messed with overclocking an AMD, but check out hardforums.com those guys kick ass.

From what i understand you can mess with the HyperTransport setting and over clock your chip with stock memory settings.

anandtech's overclocking forum is great too. oh yeah go check out DFI, it is really indepth about memory timing and everything under the sun. if you can't find those links ill get it, im too lazy right now.

anyway, good choice on the parts. i wouldve still went with the dual-core and the thermalright xp90, but still thumbs up.

just as a side note because we're on the topic of overclocking, rumors are there are no more 939 opterons! NO! those fuckers were beasts. average overclock were 600mhz+, most were reaching 2.7-8ish and then there were some reaching over 3.0ghz.

anyway, heres the quick and dirty for the amd64. first of all ALL AMDs are LOCKED except the FX. Meaning, you cannot chance the multipliers up, but you can only lower them to conserve energy (cool n quiet). and also, cool n quiet is not recommend if you tend to overclock. it tends to cause instability, but some have gotten to work.

set your ram divider to the lowest and then slowly up the mhz on fsb or whatever its called on your motherboard. this takes the memory out of the equation. its stock at 200mhz. increase by 5mhz until it fails to boot into windows, this is your max. then decrease by about 10% and get into superpi. run the 1mb test to see if you pass. if you want more mhz, up the voltage to the cpu by the smallest about you can, usually .01v. When you do this, you degrade the longiviity of the CPU and void warranty, but you can get more speed. Try to stay within 1.45ish, anything more is too scary for me because it seems like you have a good cooling solution. Im actually on stock voltage because im a pussy like that.

Next, return your cpu to stock and start jacking up the mhz on the ram. its also stock at 200mhz, assuming you have pc3200. most ram is safe up to 3.0v and warranty is not void. im running 2.8v. bh5 and extreme ram goes pass 3.0v and need like 3.2v. crazy speeds, but crazy hot. up the ram until it fails to boot into windows. go down 10 percent and run superpi 1mb again.

now run the max cpu with the max ram. dont worry if it doesnt match. my max fsb on stock voltage is 267mhz and my ram is stock 200mhz (value ram). so i went to the divider and i chose the 3/4 divider because 267mhz times 3/4 is roughly 200mhz, same as my ram.

now run superpi 1m again. then run memtest to make sure your ram is stable and then run prime95 for 12hrs minimum to make sure your rig is stable.

make sure your HTT is under 2000mhz. the LDT changes this as while as ur fsb. my fsb is 267. 267x2=534. times 2 because amd is 2 instead of 4 like intels. then times by ur LDT. mine is at 4 so it comes out to 2136. oddly, this is stable for mine. most people go down to 3 to keep it under 2000mhz.

this is just a very basic. go read the other forums to get the max of ur system. good luck.

my cpu is 3000+ with a stock multiplier at 9. im running 267mhz with stock voltage. my ram is stock with 2.8v because its value ram that needs more voltage to get good timing at 2.5-3-7-3. im at 2400mhz from 1800mhz. im very happy and do the super pi 1m at 37secs. post ur results =)

UPDATE:

Parts arrived yesterday.

It's a DFI LanParty UT NF4-D, not whatever else I said.

Also, the XP120 is MASSIVE. Then again, when it takes a 120mm fan it's gotta be pretty big. It's a work of art though. Good thing most of the mass is elevated from the board, otherwise half of my dimm slots would be unusable. :p

The heatsink on the 7800GT is really nice. The card is fairly long (longer than my 9800XT).

The power supply was cool though. I got a Thermaltake 500-watt because I had to get one with the 24-pin atx connector. Instead of just having all the wires hang out of a hole in the PSU casing, they use a bus on the PSU and have individually mesh-sleeved wires that you plug into the bus on the PSU. It's really cool. Makes it really nice because you can limit the wires to however many you need and don't have any extras to hide inside the case.

damn that thing is ginormus and ouch 70 bucks?

and im not so sure about that thermaltake power supply. dont really know their build quality but id watch out. yeah and modular kicks ass. i have it too.

I read a review on the thermaltake and they said it was a great supply for the money, and didn't have any reliability issues.

It's a Thermalright. It's worth the money.

B your work comp is kinda low on Ram dont ya think? I bet if you added another gb it would be up there with your home comp.

either way intel sucks AMD rocks.=)

Congratulations, YOURE A DOUCHEBAG

:shocker:

yall just need to stop listing all the new shit you buy or my car will never be finished

If It Was Not For The Brits You Would Be Fucked Up You Need Us To To Save Anoyher Fucked Up War

I am a graphic artist. I have my own design firm now. For the two guys here that run windows, we set them up with the following.
AMD Opteron 2.6GHz Dual Core (I forget the number I think it is a 185 Denmark, but I could be wrong). The Opteron is awesome, but the X2 is pretty good as well. AMD has the same warranty as Intel.
2GB PC3200 RAM
ASUS Motherboard (best board company no issues with them ever), warranty is awesome as well.
Hard drives they are running Seagate 300GB drives, and we use a network storage drive for backup. I believe that I saw 320GB drives on newegg for close to 100 bucks the other day. However, on one of our PC workstations that does 3D work we run two 150GB Raptor drives raided together to make one 300GB drive, and then run a 750GB drive as a scratch disk. I recommend a good sized scratch disk for photoshop and the rest of the creative suite.
Cases are made by antec, I think it is called the sonata (nice and quiet).
680W Thermaltake PSU. I cannot recall the rest of the specs, but I can look at the receipt on Monday.
We run a X1900GT for the GPU, it is awesome best bang for $200 bucks, much better than the X1600s we were running before.

As far as the Printer, you can do way better that 4800 is way slow and has crappy color quality. Look at the HP officeJet K550 for day to day printing, and then look at a canon or epson scanner. We have an Epson 4990 Scaaner and it is great.

hmm.. okay well then how would this sound as an AMD set up

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ ClawHammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor

OCZ Value Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400

ENERMAX EG425P-VE SFMA 2.0 ATX12V 420W Power Supply

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT

BFG Tech nForce 4 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB

super sweeeet! got a few suggestions. HUGE hard drives!! the more music the better. and vids too. soo, i say, go 512 memory, some Corsair XMS and use that other money for a 500gb sata 3.0gb/s hard drive. you dont need the memory, are you really doin photoshop or editing video? run it on a 9" touchscreen in ur dash :D

222507_34_full.jpg

this isnt mine...but i want to do something like it. those LCD's are made by a company called G-Net. they're like 300 bucks for a 9".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back