New Discussion Topic: Homeless People

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my only point on that blanco is that this is the land of oppertunity. how many people come here with nothing, not even family and make something of themselves? I'm not saying that everyone couldn't use a helping hand now and again, but there are plenty out there that won't do shit to help themselves.

if they can come up with this shit then they deserve a dollar to two

berserker-hobo.jpg

and all a lot of us are saying is "do something for the money"... make me laugh, play some bucket drums, play an instrument, juggle, clean my car windows, perform a service, do something other than sit (or stand) there, looking as pathetic as you can, with your hand out begging for money... DO SOMETHING FOR IT!!

and i dont want to hear a sob story about how you feel like shit having to ask, and how youve got a job and your not some bum, but you lost your "billfold" and you cant get a hold of your wife because she works 3rd shift at Aetna and they cant get incoming calls after 10pm, and you just need a few bucks to put in your gas tank so you can get home a few towns away...
guys like that.... i dont fucking care and i dont want to hear it.... mostly because i already heard it... from the same fuckin guy 3 fuckin times in the past month at different gas stations and coffee shops... i usually finish his story for him and tell him to fuck off... or B offers him $5 for his shoes (if he really needs the money that bad he'll give up the shoes for it)

i have no problem helping others out... i enjoy helping others... but im not a fucking enabler... and i will NOT reward someone for begging or sitting there not doing anything other than looking pathetic

i dont give dogs treats when they sit there begging from me... and i dont give them treats for sitting there doing nothing
NO BLANCO IM NOT SAYING HOMELESS OR LESS FORTUNATE PEOPLE ARE DOGS
what im saying is... if a dog is expected to know better than to expect to be rewarded for that behavior... why the fuck wouldnt you expect the same from a human

Blanco your a hippie.jp:p

bum fight was the shit even it got a little rediculous towards the end. They just flat out treated them like animals.

there was a guy working the 'i'm not going to lie, i just want beer' sign under an overpass a while back; i happened to have the remnants of a 6 pack in the trunk of my accord from the previous weekend. bum got his beer, i got to feel good for five minutes.

we used to have a meet here on sat nights downtown at the stadium. one black guy came through to all the big groups nad just said, "im not gonna lie, i wanna get drunk, spare some change?" he walked away with at least 50 bucks. you could tell he was homeless, ive seen him downtown a couple times and hes always wearing the same thing. it was just funny how he approached it.

but my friend told me a couple weeks ago that he was walking to another store close to where he works and a guy approached him, said some shit about his wife and that he needed $20 to get a cheap hotel for a night. firend brushed him off then went into the store, came back out, and the guy was asking another person, my friend said why not, walked up and handed the guy a 20. the guy looked at the other person that he was asking and said "thanks for your time, but i have what i need now." shook thier hands and walked across the street towards a dirty run down hotel.

some people just need some help. i usually would, except it seems that when they do ask, im always broke.

but those people who come to your window while your sitting in traffic annoy the shit out of me. we have a lot of church groups do that shit on the weekends trying to raise money for some stupid trip or other reason. just pisses me off.

Up here, if you don't have a warm place to sleep, you die.

well, at least you know you wont have to beg for long.

off subject, is it true that theres 18 or so days out of the year where theres no sunlight?

I don't see as many in upstate NY, I saw alot more when I lived in Raleigh. Most of them down there would stand out on the roadside, everyday, collecting money, claiming to be a disabled war veteran. These are the people who don't want jobs. Anyone who can stand out on the blacktop in a 90 degree, humid Carolina summer can stand behind a counter at McDonalds where they recieve a clean uniform, probably some benefits, air conditioning and a fucking paycheck.

I would rather donate money to a charitable foundation or to fund a cure for a desease. There probably are some that really are sick, and I would hope the charitys would find the right people to give their services to.

According to Manswers ( a decent show on spike tv) an average pan handler with a good sob story and the right clothing can make like 50 bucks an hour. Thats pretty good. I do not give people money when they ask for it.
I thought some guy was going to try to kill me for not giving him a smoke. I was in my truck leaving work with the bank deposit for the day on me. This smoke finished up the pack. He thought I was lying. SO I threw the empty pack at me after he started swearing at me. I start to leave and he is trying to fight me and trying to get in front of my truck. I grabbed my wrench that I used to switch the balls on my trailer hitch with. (About 18inches long and a decent size at the end. I am holding it in my left hand and act like I am going to run him over. He ran away pretty quick.
My old job was great for these types of people. A liquor store and smoke shop in the plaza in a low income town. They stopped asking after me telling the off enough, that or threatening to call the cops on a few of them for me seeing they buying drugs on the side of the building.

Im like most of you, if I have some spare food / soda whatever ill toss it out to them. But I do belive that in this country there are avenues and people that will help get them back on there feet. But they have to want to do something with themselves. I see the same people around downtown Spokane and out in the valley. Every day in the same spot with the same sign doing the same thing every day. Spend 4 bucks on a disposable razor, hit up goodwill for some cheap threads and lie about every thing on your resume. The guys that claim to be vets piss me off the most. My old man works for the VA and most of the sites have a wide open door policy. They will help you with whatever you need medically and get your foot in the door with someone that will assist you with most other things. People have to want to help themselves, and to me giving them money is not helping. Its only helping with there next bottle, hit, or suck and fuck. Whatever the case may be.

Hopefully none of you ever fall on bad luck. Because it's nowhere near as easy to climb back up as you seem to think it is.

its not easy but its possible. Using your money for alcohol and drugs is no way to recuperate. Hell here in Tally thats why we have so many bums. The addiction just takes over. It doesnt take a genious to to see if they have a problem or not.

ive actually heard of homeless people commit crimes and go to jail just so they could have a roof over there heads and be fed everyday. sounds sad but i guess its an option albeit not a very good option if you ask me.

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible. But you have to understand a problem before you can fix it.

You have to ask yourself why the addiction even starts. You have to ask yourself if someone who's lost everything in their life is in the correct state of mind to stand right back up. Losing everything is a huge blow to the psyche, not to mention self confidence and self esteem. Some people just aren't strong enough to deal with that on their own. Hell, look at alcoholism among the nation's stressful professions. The cop that lives next door to me drinks several cases of beer every week. What about retired service men and women? I know a few guys who always say that the most efficient thing the Air Force does is produce alcoholics. Serious addiction isn't only limited to the homeless and poor.

The few guys who make a lot of money pan handling don't represent the entire homeless population and are often times not even homeless. They're people who recognized a money making avenue and are exploiting it. Other people are caught in the spiral of addiction and won't just quit without a lot of help and a real light at the end of the tunnel. To treat the addiction you have to treat the root of the issue.

That's why I have a goal of opening a business where I can employ people until they get back on their feet. Build the self confidence to the point where they feel like worthwhile humans again instead of the sub-human scum that so many people treat them like. And then *BAM*, you have contributing members of society again. Until that point, I'll do what I can. If kicking back with a 40oz. is going to make the long and cold night a little better, here's $2. I've given more than one to-go box to a homeless person. I don't for one second believe that the vast majority of homeless people are homeless because they enjoy being spit on, treated like shit, and sleeping under bridges. I don't for one second believe that they became homeless one day and never gave an effort to change that.

Hell, let's take a look at one of California's new laws that requires convicted sex offenders live 2000ft. from a school regardless of their conviction but they can't leave the city either. Where I live that's completely impossible and so all of these people on homeless whether they had good paying jobs or not. And on that note, instead of knowing where they live, now we don't know where they're at all other than "in the area". We're creating a throw away society in private while we publicly condemn the rest of the world for many of the same actions. It's flat out hypocrisy.

Now, I'm not saying that every homeless person is the same. In fact, I'm saying quite the opposite. The point I'm making is that these are our fellow Americans and yet most people would rather build a nation or give to some religious children's fund for kids somewhere else. Kids are dying on our own streets but it's alright because they're just lazy bums and so are their parents. Don't want to give a homeless person money? Buy him/her a fast food meal or a sandwich from the store you're walking into. Treat them like human beings instead of pieces of walking garbage.

And I'll end my involvement with this topic with this...
YouTube - Stone Sour - Inhale

YouTube - lazyboy - underwear goes inside the pants 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
can tell he's from cali:D

jk

it depends if they are actually trying to do something, like get a job and make their own money to get their life together, or if they are just trying to live off of everyone else, so that they don't have to work for their money.

believe me, i'm from london and it's a daily occurrance to be asked for some spare change there.

Chris Rock- "If a homeless person's sign is funny, they haven't been homeless that long."

A big thing in NYC is to get on the Subway. After a stop they announce to everyone in the car that they are hungry blah blah blah, then they walk around with a hat. My dad says they get more than enough in one trip and he has seen them doing it both ways in one day. Not to mention that a lady gave him her un-opened sandwich once and the guy threw it in the trash on the way out.

I'm with the rest, do something for my money. There is a guy who hangs outside of Pat's and Geno's in Phili. For 5 bucks he will clean all my windows and mirrors and such. And he takes pride in his work (a few times I just wanted a quick clean and he insisted on doing the full job). Then there is a guy outside the Electric Factory that claims he will watch your car for a few bucks and make sure nothing happens to it. In reality he'll key your car if you don't give him money.

My most recent encounter one asked me for a cigarette. I was feeling generous so I gave him one. He then goes, "Ah man, this is that regular crap, don't you got any menthols?" I snatched it back, lit it in front of him, and walked away.

On a side-note, if I was homeless I would walk south. I'd rather be homeless on a beach in Miami than homeless on a dirty corner in Jersey.

hehe

location location LOCATION!!!!

Back