New Dream Theater Album

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EXtremeAccord

Okay, Dream Theater... one of the 1337est bands in the history of progressive rock music... has just released a sorta-new album "Live from Budokan". It's basically the best songs from every album they've ever made put on a three CD album and recorded live in Asia-ville. This is the ultimate JDM Dream Theater Album... more HP than any I've heard stateside.

What do you all think, if you've heard it at all?

:lolhammer:

Originally posted by EXtremeAccord@Nov 5 2004, 08:46 AM
Okay, Dream Theater... one of the 1337est bands in the history of progressive rock music... has just released a sorta-new album "Live from Budokan". It's basically the best songs from every album they've ever made put on a three CD album and recorded live in Asia-ville. This is the ultimate JDM Dream Theater Album... more HP than any I've heard stateside.

What do you all think, if you've heard it at all?

:lolhammer:
[post=412521]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd buy it if it wasn't live.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 10:04 AM
saw them live 2 years ago.

Mike Portnoy is God.
[post=412533]Quoted post[/post]​

God: Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci, John Myung, Jordan Rudess, James LeBri. They are all Holy Avatars of the Heavens. :worthy:

Originally posted by EXtremeAccord+Nov 5 2004, 09:06 AM-->
civicious
@Nov 5 2004, 10:04 AM
saw them live 2 years ago.

Mike Portnoy is God.
[post=412533]Quoted post[/post]​

God: Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci, John Myung, Jordan Rudess, James LeBri. They are all Holy Avatars of the Heavens. :worthy:
[post=412535]Quoted post[/post]​

minus JL

Mike Portnoy practically taught me how to drum, until Carter Beauford took his place.

never got into them much.. can't stand the singer's vibrato. same shit goes for dio. it annoys the shit out of me

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 5 2004, 11:13 AM
never got into them much.. can't stand the singer's vibrato. same shit goes for dio. it annoys the shit out of me
[post=412539]Quoted post[/post]​

Dream theater isn't a 'vocalist's band'. It's more about the actual music than the vocals. Kinda like Mister Bungle or Primus...you almost have to be a musician to truly appreciate it.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 09:14 AM
I am NOT a Carter Beauford fan. At all. I've been playing since I was 5. http://www.joelstophim.com <--the band I'm currently with
[post=412540]Quoted post[/post]​

how can you not be a carter beauford fan?
i can understop not being a DMB fan, his style isn't for everyone, but carter is an amazing drummer, who's style is like none other's... you have to at least appreciate his talent.

DMB = crap. He's a talented drummer, don't get me wrong. I just don't like him.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 5 2004, 01:13 PM
never got into them much.. can't stand the singer's vibrato.  same shit goes for dio.  it annoys the shit out of me

Dio's alright. They've been around forever though, the lead singer looks like hes about to croak on stage.

Their new song Push on Killing the Dragon is alright. I saw the video for it the other day, and its got Tenacious D at the beginning. Pretty funny stuff.

Originally posted by civicious+Nov 5 2004, 12:15 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Nov 5 2004, 11:13 AM
never got into them much.. can't stand the singer's vibrato.  same shit goes for dio.  it annoys the shit out of me

Dream theater isn't a 'vocalist's band'. It's more about the actual music than the vocals. Kinda like Mister Bungle or Primus...you almost have to be a musician to truly appreciate it.
[post=412541]Quoted post[/post]​

i play guitar dude...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 5 2004, 11:20 AM-->
Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 12:15 PM
pissedoffsol
@Nov 5 2004, 11:13 AM

[post=412541]Quoted post[/post]​

i play guitar dude...
[post=412549]Quoted post[/post]​

Really? That I did not know

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 09:18 AM
DMB = crap. He's a talented drummer, don't get me wrong. I just don't like him.
[post=412546]Quoted post[/post]​

If DMB is crap then so is Dream Theater. I like both, both bands are five extremelly talented musicians collaberating perfectly. Just because one band plays a different style doesn't make them crap just because it's not to your taste.

I don't not like it because it isn't my style. I don't like it because any fifteen year old kid can tab it out and play it.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 10:27 AM
I don't not like it because it isn't my style. I don't like it because any fifteen year old kid can tab it out and play it.
[post=412554]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, really anyone can tab anything and play it. But do they know four other guys to make the song an actual song and not an ill-strung out guitar solo? Hehehe.
I have to agree with Kcihcaton on DMB. That's some good listening while you're driving down the freeway so fast you can't hear your own exhaust...

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 09:27 AM
[post=412554]Quoted post[/post]​

So good music to you is something that can't be easily replicated?
Copland sucks because any high school band can put it in from of them and play it?
You have a horrible understanding of what music is and means if you don't like something because 'anyone can play it'.
Some of the best musicians out there can't come CLOSE to doing the crazy technical things that the members of dream theater can do, but they're still amazing musicians because of their creativity and the things that come out of their heart and into their music.

Any fifteen year old kid can tab it out and play it, but no one can else can create it.
If they could, there would be a million DMB replica bands out there, have you noticed that there's maybe 1 or 2 bands that come close? There's probably a coulple hundred progressive rock bands out there doing the same stuff dream theater does, because all it takes it fast hands. Granted DT does it better than anyone.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 09:31 AM
Nothing like listening to a song called 'Crash' when you're flying down the freeway.
[post=412558]Quoted post[/post]​

You've obviously only heard that one song.
You're basically saying Snickers bars are shit because you don't like them.
The Mona Lisa is horrible art, because you don't like the way she smiles.

People like whatever music caters to their emotions, some people are angry sad, or whatever. People like music they can relate too. But if you can't relate to it, that doesn't make it crap. Trust me, there's several million other people out there who can.

Back