New Dream Theater Album

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

There's a difference between creativity and talent. I dislike DMB because their music does not require a lot of talent to play. I NEVER said Copeland sucks. I never said Beauford sucks. I never said DMB sucks. I dislike them because their music is simple shit. It's the alt-rock equivalent of power chords.

NEVER did I say that they sucked.

Kc, Kc... we need to get that sand out of your vagina, you're a walking time bomb.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, of course. Don't worry, you just need a dose of a live version of Pull Me Under... that'll get you calm and in love with life again.

"I shall not walk, so that a child may live! ... What? It's what it does!"

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 09:36 AM
There's a difference between creativity and talent. I dislike DMB because their music does not require a lot of talent to play. I NEVER said Copeland sucks. I never said Beauford sucks. I never said DMB sucks. I dislike them because their music is simple shit. It's the alt-rock equivalent of power chords.

NEVER did I say that they sucked.
[post=412567]Quoted post[/post]​

You must have only heard one song, and stopped listening because it wasn't your style. Yes, it takes a lot of talent to replicate what they play. Maybe not Crash, maybe not Satellite, just like anyone can play Pull Me Under and several other Dream Theater songs. It takes talent to play what they play, and your basing what you're saying on nothing other than the fact that you don't like grooving to music, and you like wishing you better so you can do those magical things that DT can do. To be honest, I've been to two DT concerts, and after the second one, I don't think I'll ever go to one again. The only thing that made it fun was watching Mike Portnoy. Jordan Ruddess tries hard to perform while he's playing keys, and Petrucci and John Myung are just plain boring to watch. It doesn't take talent to do what they do, it takes practice, there's a big difference. ANYONE can lock themselves in a room with a guitar for seven years and come out as good as John Petrucc. However, to play guitar like Dave Matthews, you would have to live the life that he lived, and felt the shit he felt and see the things that he's seen. Talent doesn't come from hands and technicality, all talent is, is the ability to express yourself creatively. Either by throwing it on a canvas, pounding it on drums, or playing it through a guitar.

When is it that John Petrucci is feeling it the most? When he's going a million mph shredding like none other? Hell no, it's the long drawn out bends, and hitting the perfect note at that perfect moment. Feeling it and making the music just that much better with those subtle things is what talent is.

Originally posted by EXtremeAccord@Nov 5 2004, 09:39 AM
Kc, Kc... we need to get that sand out of your vagina, you're a walking time bomb.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, of course. Don't worry, you just need a dose of a live version of Pull Me Under... that'll get you calm and in love with life again.

"I shall not walk, so that a child may live! ... What? It's what it does!"
[post=412571]Quoted post[/post]​

Saying that DMB is crap is not an opinion. I think DMB is crap, is an opinion.
Saying it doesn't take talent to play what they play is not an opinion.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 09:53 AM
and you like wishing you better so you can do those magical things that DT can do

have you heard me play? no.
[post=412590]Quoted post[/post]​

That's your response?

No, you're right. I was trying to make more of a generalization than make a direct reference to you, sorry.
I was just trying to say that that is what people like about DT. They like it because of the style, and because they can play like none other.

Originally posted by dveit@Nov 5 2004, 09:53 AM
:gives: :newbie: :mullet:
[post=412589]Quoted post[/post]​

You're right, I shouldn't do this to myself. It really doesn't effect me at all what Will thinks, sorry for flying off the handle.

Originally posted by Kcihcaton@Nov 5 2004, 11:00 AM
Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...  :(
[post=412599]Quoted post[/post]​

You started it! :owned:
Wait... how can you own yourself?
Looks like I'm running in the Special Olympics too. :p

Read my posts. I never said Beauford sucked.

And you left the most awesome drummer of all time out. Bonzo. If you play drums, shit, if you play music at all, and you don't know who Bonzo is, you should pawn your instrument right now and take up croquet. NO DRUMMER would be where they are today if it weren't for Bonzo. Watch 'The Song Remains The Same'. That is all.

As I previously stated... maybe I should stop starting threads, as they are cursed to suck and end in arguement. I'll just... sit over here and read for a while...

Originally posted by Blanco@Nov 5 2004, 11:42 AM
Mike Portnoy is good, but he's over-rated. He doesn't use his left hand at all. If you want technical, Terry Bozzio. If you want technique that will blow your mind and groove so deep that you can't find your way out, Steve Gadd. You want musical masturbation, Mike Portnoy. If you guys are going to get into a pissing match about who's a better drummer, at least make it world class drummers like Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, Dennis Chambers, Akira Jimbo, Dom Famularo, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve motherfucking Gadd, Steve Smith, Thomas Lang, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Louis Bellson, Baby Dodds, Dave Weckl, Dave Garibali, et cetera.

Technique serves one purpose, so you can concentrate on playing the music, not playing your instrument. Groove will get you a lot more work than technical chops. Look at Vinnie Colaiuta, he recorded Megadeth's last album and then performed with Queen Latifah on The Tonight Show. He's one of the most technical drummers you could ever hope to emulate, the amount of math that goes on in his head is outrageous...and he still grooves like a motherfucker. As drummers, it's our job to serve the music, not trample it with as many notes as we can play while staying in time. That's one of the things that Carter Beauford does very well, he plays technical parts that you can learn with a fair amount of practice but he grooves it and he doesn't over-play. He plays to serve the song.

You want to talk simplistic playing that anyone can play? The Beatles, man. Ringo is one of the least technical drummers you'll ever hear, but he ripped it up and actually invented a lot of modern rock drumming. You want to talk technical playing that you can't even comprehend, let alone transcribe? Either Terry Bozzio or Dave Weckl. They're both technique gods and Bozzio has ostinato patterns that have literally taken him five years to perfect. Portnoy doesn't hold a candle when put into this company...and I do like Dream Theater aswell as Mike Portnoy. Oh yeah, two other guys who play some fairly technical patterns, had a deep pocket, and work a lot are Josh Freese and Abe Laboriel Jr.

Do you want to play for musicians or do you want to play music?

"First master your instrument, then forget that shit and play" - Charlie Parker
[post=412660]Quoted post[/post]​

Well said.

You said exactly what I was trying to say, but we weren't arguing over who's a good drummer.

Almost all threads that are opinion-related turn to shit around here. Not entirely your fault, just get used to it. :p

Dream Theater - Live from Bodukan - Trial of Tears. AWESOME song. Best... listening to it now... song... LeBri has the voice of an angel... EVER. Good thing chairs can't get pregnant.

"It's raining deep in Heaven!"

If you buy any CD... or get one for Christmas. Get Dream Theater - Live from Bodukan. If ONLY for the song titled "Instrumedley". OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! :worthy: :worthy: This is by far the most... awe-inspiring instrumental song. It is a compilation of multiple Dream Theater and LTE tracks all shuffled into one perfect, well-flowing, mass of musical GLEE! Find me on AIM at KingDahn and I'll send it to you if you want.

Back