new ecu??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shaggz17

i was told the only way to run my turbo on a stock 2001 honda prelude engine is to get a new ecu chip programed? turbonetcs told me that the kit is made for a stock engine. im confused

turbonetics lies. if you add pressure to a normal engine (especially an H22) you need to have it tuned. the reason i say especially an H22 is because the ringlands on the pistons are especially weak and they tend to give out very quickly. If youve got intake mounted injectors (meaning they are in the intake tube and not on the fuel rail), id suggest a few things.

If it is possible to do legally in your state, id convert to OBD1 and use a P72, Crome Pro, and some 440s to tune that thing correctly. If that is not an options.....*shudder*.....buy a VAFC and try to get it tuned that way. If you are using one of those intake fuel injector things, they are WAAY more dangerous and unreliable than VAFC. At least with a hack you still have some safety.

They don't "lie".... they just sell their kit with a hackjob of a tool made for carberators called an FMU (or fuel management unit) which adds a ratio of fuel per psi of boost (as in, 12:1 fmu adds 12 psi of fuel pressure to 1 psi of boost). The problem is, Pressure is not Volume. It's like putting your thumb over the garden hose. Sure, you can make it spray faster--- but only SO fast, before a bigger hose would actually flow more water per time. Basically, they sucks ass, and does nothing for ignition timing either.

there are better options out there, for not too much cost either. But like most things turbonetics sells, its over priced. their turbo kit that they sell for 4 grand can be built for about 1200-1500.

Back