1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new engine break in

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by sevenhillsbilly, Feb 25, 2008.

1. sevenhillsbilly

sevenhillsbilly New Member

i am going to be swaping in a d16 that has been bored out and was wondering if it would be better to break it in with the turbo on it or can i break in the motor and put the turbo on later with out any problems??

2. newb

newb phresh VIP

Dont break it in with the turbo on it. Break it in N/A then put the turbo on.

3. BigNate

BigNate New Member

yes, i would suggest that you DO NOT put boost to a new motor until AT LEAST 1500 miles. after 1000 miles the engine should be 100% broken in, but id play it safe at 1500.

4. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Like Blanco said above, read that article, it is very informative. Me personally, I suggest breaking it in off the boost, or with low boost, meaning 3-5psi. As far as a break-in method, I do as I was taught in technical school. Accellerate from 30mph to 50 mph in third gear (if standard trans.), and off the throttle at 50mph and let it drop down to 30 mph on its own. Repeat this 10 times or so and it will seat the rings properly. After 500 miles, change oil and filter. After 1000 miles, change oil and filter again and inspect for metal shavings (which is normal, but should be minimal). I always use a magnetic drain plug if possible.

5. jtornado

jtornado New Member

Well if you keep going from 30 - 50 in 3rd gear wouldn't you not just be breaking it in with the 3rd gear's pull and could this affect the other gear to not be broken in???? Why don't you wanna break it in with 1st than 2 second than 3rd ...etc

6. newb

newb phresh VIP

You do it in 3rd gear to apply a safe amount of load to the engine, and you dont risk over revving it and messin up all the work you just finished.

7. jtornado

jtornado New Member

Sweet so basically ill be breaking in my motor in 3rd gear 30-50 for about 20 miles than ill change my oil and filter than keep doing that for about 500 miles than ill be testing out the other gears the same way???

8. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

lol dude i totally understand how you feel right now...
    and to the op...READ THE DAMN LINK BLANCO PROVIDED!!!!

9. jtornado

jtornado New Member

You can call me dumb but I have never heard the phrase don't cross the streams. Are you referring to don't cross the line????

10. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

You do what i mentioned about 10 times, thats it. As you are deccellerating from 50mph to 30mph, something occurs in the cylinders called "vacuum". This is what seats the rings.

11. jtornado

jtornado New Member

No blanco the picture really didn't help me out. I have never used that term of analogy. Well basically all vacuum goes into the cylinders on Accel and Decel. Thats why at WOT you will see 0" HG which is actually 29.9" Baro because at wot the vacuum is held in the cylinders, am I right and understanding this correctly????

12. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

I love how Blanco's advice goes unheeded, even though he is like a God. Read the article Blanco posted already.

13. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

LMMFAO! HAHAHAHHAHHAHA! Another classic quote that I may quote you on someday, with due credit of course, Scott. hahahahahhahahaha Beware the minions of Gozer. (forgive me if I misspelled that)

On a different note, do yourself a favor and read the link. You could just "blow the engine up" (Blanco 2008) if you'd like too, but that wouldn't be as much fun I would think. :D
    I like to refer to him as the Don Juan of HS, Chaz. Perhaps even Don Corleon. (forgive me Godfather if I misspelled your last name)

14. jtornado

jtornado New Member

I originally am going to intend on doing exactly the that article said when I tell you thats what im going to be doing, you guys say read the article or you might blow your motor. Well retards I just did read the article and im doing exactly what it says.

15. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

your the retard..you read the article and do what it says..there is no need to come back and ask what your supposed to do..

16. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

i cant believe that someone didnt get the "dont cross the streams reference".

"there's something very important i forgot to tell you"
    "what"
    "dont cross the streams"
    "why"
    "it would be bad"
    "i'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, 'bad'?"
    "try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."
    "total protonic reversal"
    "right, that's bad. okay. All right, important safety tip, thanks, egon.

ahh, how i love 'working on fridays'

1 person likes this.
  17. jtornado

jtornado New Member

I have STM so thats probably why I dont remember lines from that movie. Ya thats what I told you blanco, I said should I use the throttle % from the dyno steps for my street break in. Or maybe I didn't word it right but thats what I was asking and than I said whats the difference between to 2 but its all good. I'm 100% clear of that now. Thanks for all the help guys. Blanco have you ever thought about getting some sun cause not one very white person can look the greatest lol I mean look at your avatar, thats probably how you look in reality but obviously with white skin. JK but just a thought;)

18. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

lol...i think he was talking about me....the only time i see the sun is on smoke breaks and when its nice enough to have the top down :lol:

19. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

Sonofa....I forgot to quote him instead of you. haha Forgive me Don Corleon. Trust me when I say that you have done me many favors, especially in sharing your wealth of knowledge.
    May the Schwartz be with you.

Would it be politically correct to give someone a rep point, just because they hit the nail on the head in quoting Ghostbusters? haha That was great man. :D

20. jtornado

jtornado New Member

Lol Blanco there was sarcasm if you didn't see. Do I have to tell you again????? Sound familiar. I'm mocking you but obviously im joking. May the schwartz be with you if from spaceballs not ghostbusters.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted