new engine i-VTEC I 65:1 afr !!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the insight has had this stupid lean a/f technology since it came out...

really? i thought the insight just had the electric motors to reduce emissions and fuel consumption and all that. but its still pretty cool and i never heard of it before.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 27 2005, 06:05 PM
the insight is really a complex car. way ahead of its time. do some research on it man
[post=452257]Quoted post[/post]​

i was under the impression that toyota sold the hybrid tech to honda, along with having sold it to other companies as well.

The insight is way ahead of its time. The technology is pretty impresive. Its not to be confused with the civic and/or the accord hybrid. The civic and accord use I.M.A. ~ Integrated Motor Assist which is a electric motor sandwiched in between the engine itself and the transmission, which takes offer when the vehicle is coasting or coming to a stop/stopped at a traffic light. The hybrid engines actually shut off when idling/stopped. As soon as the brake pedal is released, the electric/gas combination accelerates. That eliminates the wasted fuel associated with stop and go traffic. The insight on the otherhand uses the Air/fuel ratio technology as stated above, giving it the much higher has mileage rating than the hybrids. The emissions equipment on the insight is rediculously expensive. We replaced and Osygen sensor at our dealership last week than cost $659.00. And its a 7 Wire sensor. Wire than to your civic swap!! Lol

Originally posted by nismogod+Jan 27 2005, 06:51 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jan 27 2005, 06:05 PM
the insight is really a complex car.  way ahead of its time.  do some research on it man
[post=452257]Quoted post[/post]​

i was under the impression that toyota sold the hybrid tech to honda, along with having sold it to other companies as well.
[post=452285]Quoted post[/post]​

Honda actually came out with the hybrid technology in 1997 and further developed it for the release of the insight in fall of 1999 as the 2000 model year.

Originally posted by MXDesa@Jan 27 2005, 06:54 PM
The insight is way ahead of its time. The technology is pretty impresive. Its not to be confused with the civic and/or the accord hybrid. The civic and accord use I.M.A. ~ Integrated Motor Assist which is a electric motor sandwiched in between the engine itself and the transmission, which takes offer when the vehicle is coasting or coming to a stop/stopped at a traffic light. The hybrid engines actually shut off when idling/stopped. As soon as the brake pedal is released, the electric/gas combination accelerates. That eliminates the wasted fuel associated with stop and go traffic. The insight on the otherhand uses the Air/fuel ratio technology as stated above, giving it the much higher has mileage rating than the hybrids. The emissions equipment on the insight is rediculously expensive. We replaced and Osygen sensor at our dealership last week than cost $659.00. And its a 7 Wire sensor. Wire than to your civic swap!! Lol
[post=452286]Quoted post[/post]​

hahaha word, that swap is obsolete. haha :p

the insight will run 23-25:1 AF when in lean burn mode
so that engine is definatly higher

if anyone is actually interested in learning about the insight and oher hybrid vehicles i highly recommend checking out http://www.insightcentral.net there is a rediculous ammount of info over there

the insight is definatly badass (i love mine... best daily driver ever)
and that 2.0DOHC is the first engine ive seen that is worthy of being swapped into an insight (powerful AND fuel efficient) :evil grin:

the 65:1 afr is pretty impressive, however, the actual MPG that it gets is rather poor. It says it gets 15km/liter, which is almost exactly 35mpg. Not very high at all. On my gsr engine, I regularly get 30-35mpg on the highway.

on my d15b7 i get 46 on the highway, so yeah not impressive at all

FWIW Civic VXs used a lean-burn technology, obvously not 65:1 but leaner than 18 or 19:1 A/F, so Honda has had their eye on this for a long time. I wonder how they keep combustion chamber temps down or if they just use special materials to keep everything from melting if if EGTs are even that high? If you think about it, that cup on top of the cylinder really almost seals off at TDC, in effect making the combustion chamber really tiny. After the combustion event, the piston moves down allowing the flame front to spread out, creating what would seem like a lean situation to an exhaust sniffer, when in reality what is happening is the exhaust charge is being diluted with a bunch of extra 02 left in the combustion chamber since there just isn't enough fuel to use it all......and at 35 MPG sounds a bit gimmicky to me.

Originally posted by MXDesa@Jan 27 2005, 06:54 PM
We replaced and Osygen sensor at our dealership last week than cost $659.00. And its a 7 Wire sensor. Wire than to your civic swap!! Lol
[post=452286]Quoted post[/post]​

Hmm 7 wires, maybe they incorporated an EGT and o2 sensor into one package....I would like to get ahold of one, if you come across any dead ones, lemme know :D

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jan 28 2005, 12:39 PM
it says 15km/L so... at 2L i think it means 30km and 70mpg???

i must be wrong, though.
[post=452598]Quoted post[/post]​

your match sucks. lol

Back