new flywheel and clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pugarex

i just installed a fidanza 7.5 lb flywheel and a new exedy stage 3 clutch and my rev limit now is around 76000 rpm instead of the stock 6800 rpm on my b18a1. my question is will it be ok ro rev that high? and my clutch pedal is really soft and my stock clutch was a bit harder. with the clutch beign that soft is it ok or do i need to adjust it when i drive the car it engage good and i can feel the diffrence on the clutch but the pedal is just too soft i can almost tap it and it would go down all the way and engage.

If you have a hydraulic clutch, it's possible that you just need to bleed it. Or maybe your pressure plate just has a better lever advantage than your previous clutch.

Regarding your rev limit, what makes you think you need it that high? A b18a1 head flows chokes like mad up top unless you've done some porting work-small ports, small valves. So unless you've done that, I'd stick with the stock redline. Plus, you don't want to take the chance of floating valves.

My redline is 7000, and I've done portwork, as well as rocket cams and valvesprings in my b18a1. I'm pretty sure with proper tuning I could make power past 7000, but for now that's where I am staying.

+1 on bleeding the clutch.

just because you can rev higher and fast now, doesn't mean it's a good idea. ls motors aren't the best for revs. I would suggest getting yourself a vtec head and going to town with that.

Quoted post[/post]]
ls motors aren't the best for revs.

Completely untrue; LS engines rev fine if you can actually make use of the revs. Like I said before, the small ass ports on the ls heads start to choke at higher rpm. I can actually feel where it begins to choke on my engine because of my tune, lol. as you hit the major part of the power band, if you gas it too much, the engine begins to knock (result of 11.5:1 compression on 91 octane, couple with only 240cc injectors, lol), but as you hit about 7000 or so rpm (I've had my limit set to 7400 recently, but lowered it since), the knock goes away, because the engine is getting choked, and the AFR's are at such a spot where it's not preigniting anymore. That's my theory anyway. But the bottom end revs just fine.

i have a cable tranny from a 93ls and i havent done anything to make the rpm to go higher unless it was from the new flywheel and it goes up to around 7500 as far as my clutch goes i jusat tap it and i can shift with no problem. i still need to adjust it a little bit

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
ls motors aren't the best for revs.

Completely untrue; LS engines rev fine if you can actually make use of the revs. Like I said before, the small ass ports on the ls heads start to choke at higher rpm. I can actually feel where it begins to choke on my engine because of my tune, lol. as you hit the major part of the power band, if you gas it too much, the engine begins to knock (result of 11.5:1 compression on 91 octane, couple with only 240cc injectors, lol), but as you hit about 7000 or so rpm (I've had my limit set to 7400 recently, but lowered it since), the knock goes away, because the engine is getting choked, and the AFR's are at such a spot where it's not preigniting anymore. That's my theory anyway. But the bottom end revs just fine.

EDIT: ls motors aren't good for pulling power out of the higher revs. Any motor, if built properly will have power when you rev the motor higher. it depends on the build though. I still suggest getting a vtec head though.

are you saying your fuel cut-off is at a higher RPM now that you've changed the flywheel?

Quoted post[/post]]
are you saying your fuel cut-off is at a higher RPM now that you've changed the flywheel?
That's what I thought I read.^^ WTF?? :blink:
It's not abnormal for the clutch pedal to be easier to press after a clutch job. If you cleaned your input shaft and lubed it slightly, that makes a difference in pedal feel.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
That's what I thought I read.^^ WTF?? :blink:
It's not abnormal for the clutch pedal to be easier to press after a clutch job. If you cleaned your input shaft and lubed it slightly, that makes a difference in pedal feel.

yeah when i rev it i can go around 75or 7600 rpm everything stock exept for the flywheel. i have no idea why it revs this high now all i can think about is the new flywheel. the rev limit is around that im getting a vtec head soon. but this is my dd i dont whant it to f-up. i has anyone had this problem. i kinda like it but i dont whant to mess up my motor.

I just don't see how that is possible. The rev-limiter(fuel cut-off) is electronically controlled. The ecu looks for a certain rpm and kills fuel when it gets to that point. Just doesn't make a bit of sense.
If you are concerned about hurting the engine, just don't rev it that high if you don't feel comfortable doing it. You said that it is a daily driver, anyway. I wouldn't think that you would have too hard a time not redlining it on a day to day basis until you rebuild.

Quoted post[/post]]
I just don't see how that is possible. The rev-limiter(fuel cut-off) is electronically controlled. The ecu looks for a certain rpm and kills fuel when it gets to that point. Just doesn't make a bit of sense.
If you are concerned about hurting the engine, just don't rev it that high if you don't feel comfortable doing it. You said that it is a daily driver, anyway. I wouldn't think that you would have too hard a time not redlining it on a day to day basis until you rebuild.

thats what im thinking and i havent done nothing to the ecu or the head its all stock.

maybe your tach got messed up or something. That is weird. I just put a new clutch and new 8 pd act flywheel on my fully built lsvtec. I dont have that problem. the clutch feels better the and the car is even more resonsive than before. thats all that happend

Quoted post[/post]]
maybe your tach got messed up or something. That is weird. I just put a new clutch and new 8 pd act flywheel on my fully built lsvtec. I dont have that problem. the clutch feels better the and the car is even more resonsive than before. thats all that happend
thats what i thought was going to happen

Back