New guy, ideas floating around, I'd like your input.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah, I'll probably just end up putting a D16Z6 in it. The wiring shouldn't be any big deal. I've always been good with wiring and following directions :)

Ok, I think I'm going to go with this shell, assuming everything is straight and rust-free:
1992 Honda Civic Hatch
$600

I found 2 D16Z6 motors here in Jax... one without a distributor and flywheel, and one with a knock. I figure I can get either for under $200. For a complete motor rebuild, what parts should I get new? How long will a rebuild take if I have a shop do it all? How much should I expect a complete rebuild and parts to cost? I know it's a lot to ask, and I've been doing a lot of research, but I'm pretty much clueless. I want to get some costs together.

Thanks.

In my opinion, I think taking a B18B and building it up will make you pretty happy. Once built and installed, you can use it for several months and then put some boost to it. Suspension and tires/wheels is another good investment at the same time.

I currently have a B20 in my EF (88-91) hatch, and I love it. I want to build a CRVtec with boost, and plan to take my time doing it.

Continue doing your research. Everybody has their own opinion about how it should be done, or what would be best.

Your style of driving, as well as what you will be doing with the car should play a factor in what your final decision is. A lazy commute to work/school with the occasional "fun" is much different than the weekend track car that runs quarter miles, yet can be done with essentially the same motors. Pick your devil, do some more research, and I don't think you will be disappointed.

My main focus is just a daily driver with the ability to giddy up and have a bit of fun. No track time.

^^^I think you're too late. He seems to be doing rather well though.

I still stick with the LS swap. Or B20.

Damn. Okay, well, maybe next time. :D

That shit's crazy btw, the whole van things. It makes me lawl when I see vans with systems/body kits.

HOLY CRAP! That's awesome. Not the craziest i've ever seen but its up there.
you should go for this :)

http://www.shoutfile.com/emb/rxB59BDr
That dude (gmonkey) hails from my forum of origin (or so I like to say) CarAudio.com

That system is long gone, and now he has a Chevy Cxpress with something like 16 Ascendant Audio 15's and 6 Sundown SAZ-3000Ds. It's nasty :)

We all laughed at him for a while, because he neither paid for or installed his own system

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've already got my sound system planned for the most part.

Elemental Designs NINe.5 amplifier (100x4+600x1 RMS)
Pioneer PRS components up front
Pioneer D-Series coaxials in the rear
Subwoofer: (still up in the air) but most likely a Stereo Integrity Magnum
Head Unit: Alpine W205

:)

personally i love the 92's they much more classy and have a further look for them

Another option-- found a B16 completely rebuilt with new parts and tranny for $1900. Apparently, the guy has a shell too...

i havent read closely.. but heres my opinon. if you want something reliable, and descently quick. get a gsr. swap cars ususally (no matter who does the swap) aren't nearly as reliable as a stock car. so if you want speed after that, throw in some type r cams, and a 50 shot and call it a day..

Did the guy rebuild it himself or was it done by a reputable shop? Is that everything included for $1900--harness, tranny, dizzy, manifolds, etc.?

Did the guy rebuild it himself or was it done by a reputable shop? Is that everything included for $1900--harness, tranny, dizzy, manifolds, etc.?
I don't know if it was an individual or a shop, but when I talked to him, he seemed to be pretty deep into the performance business. He talked about several motors he had rebuilt and a bunch of cars he has. As far as I know, it is everything I need to put it in the car. In fact, he's even got it in a 92 Civic for break-in at the moment. Same kind of shell I'm looking at buying. I wonder what he'l take for the whole shebang....:burnout:

Dammit, now I went and started looking at Preludes. Those are such damn sexy cars. If I got one, I'd probably leave it alone... quick enough for me.

That's a good price if he will give you the entire front clip of the car--axels, ecu, harness, mounts, linkage, etc.

Back