New Guy with questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Revenant

Hey, all, I'm new to the forum, and to the honda world as well. I've got a 1991 Honda CRX-HF, and this is the closest model thread that I could find. If I'm missing something, please point me in the right direction.

As for my question, I'm looking for the best engine to swap out with my stock engine. Currently I'm looking at a B16A engine, but I'm doing research on what other engines I could put into it. This is further complicated by the fact I'm contemplating doing something I've never heard of anyone doing: putting a CRV all wheel drivetrain into the car to have an ~180bhp AWD CRX.

Aspiring? Absolutely. Crazy? More than likely. Possible? I think it might be.

Anyway, my question is basically this: What engine, based on experience, facts, intuition, etc., does anyone think would be the best engine to put in the vehicle. Any and all replies, suggestions, and accusations of insanity welcome. Thanks.

PERSONALLY i would stay away from the b20 AWD path just because of the difficulty and the lack of information out there on it. im not gonna tell you that its crazy, because ive heard of it being done, and its not TOO far out there.

i would say that the GSR or B16 would be better bets. they are easier swaps that yield similar if not better results.

How much fabrication experience do you have? If your answer is little to none, you're just going to end up killing another poor CRX. Just swap in an LS or b16 (or GSR if you have the $$) and have fun with the car. If you need more, there's always the possibilty of forced induction or building the motor. Both of those would be easier and more likely to work than putting a whole AWD system in your car.

MMM, thanks for the replies. I appreciate the honesty, and I'm probably going to go with the suggestion of a bigger and/or more powerful engine, and leave it at that. It wa more an idea/dream than anything else, but I figured I'd have a better time finding out and doing some research on it rather than just deciding to go ahead with it. Again, I appreciate the replies and the info.

if your just starting out working on car and new to hondas i would ssay a basic d16a6 swap and obd conversion to obd1 and a easy turbo kit.

swapping the z6 is very straight forward and so id the obd conversion. a simple turbo kit with a small 16g at 10psi you will see some awesome power. i think this would be goog to get your foot in the door for now.

awd

that awd stuff sucks its to much work i was going to do it but no money so im going a mini me swap that will have about 250 300 hp in it

if your just getting started in honda scene go with a d16z6 or an ls that is out of a DA since you have all the wiring but convert to obd1 it's better ( HONDATA.COM ) OR ( JDMSH#T.COM)

Ahh the AWD dreamer. I remember when that first crossed my head back in day. But we had no crv yet so it was th AWD wagon.Ahhhh.

...Sorry, anyway kid dont so ti unless you dad has deep pockets. Plenty of more realistic goals for you out there than AWD. It would be diffrent if you were going to be the first one but its been done before.

I say mess around with diffrent sohc turbo setups. cheap motors to build and buy. I actually have 4 not including the on in my car.

Back