"new" hard drive help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
i was going through some boxes of mine and came across a semi-old Maxtor 40g hard drive. figured what the hell and put it in. i put the jumper in the "slave" postion on it and on my main one (also a 40g..not sure what brand), i set it to "master". plugged everything back in, cut the computer on and said "Operating system not found". i unplugged everything and double checked, plugged it back together and it said same thing. i unplug everything, put the jumpers back on the main one (had 2 jumpers, one going across top row of jumper slots and another one going down...see below):

_
I <--shitty diagram...hell this diagram sucks. looks like an "L" but upside down

i didnt plug the power supply back to the "new" hard drive or even the ribbon piece back in, so now its just sitting in there until i can find out what my problem is. the jumpers on the main hard drive are set back to what they were as stated above.

what did i do wrong? or what did i NOT do right? help me out all :)

pc in reference is a POS e-Machines running WindowsXP....LOL

Make sure your BIOS is setup to autodetect everything, and set to boot from Primary Master.

Make sure you're not in cable select mode on any of the hard drives.

Make sure the original hard drive's jumpers are set correctly. Ex: Western Digital has two different jumper positions for "Master"- one for a single drive on the chain, and one for master with slave.

If you're going to not power the 40GB, remove it from the cable too- sometimes having a hard drive in the chain but not powered up can confuse a motherboard too.

thanks man!! i will try and mess with it and seee what i can come up with. i unplugged everything from the "new" hard drive.

Ok. :) I could give you a call too and walk you through it over the phone.

Back