New Head Bolts Needed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

do i NEED to replace the head bolts on a jdm b16a? or can they be re-used?

You can re use them, but every time you unthread or rethread them you could do damage to the threads in the block.

i looked in the manual and called honda and they said its not necessary but they reccomend it. of course they fucking recommend it because then they sell you a product and make money that is un-necessary. but the manual says nothing about replacing head bolts and it seems to make it very clear in other situations where things need to be replaced.

I you plan on removing the head a lot, then you should get some ARP studs. If this is 1 of 2 or 3 times that you are going to remove the head then your old bolts should be fine.

i would replace them, just to be on the safe side. head bolts are supposed to be one time use things, because they are streached when put on, and do not return to their original state after use. if this is the first time that you have taken off your head, it would be "ok" to reuse them, but dont do it again.

i would definately replace them, the oem head bolts from honda are strech bolts. when i replaced my head gasket we were re-torquing the head bolts and one snapped at 20 ft lbs at where the threads end on the bolt... the thread was stuck 1" into the block, i had to call someone to come back it out, not fun! i have since put ARP in there.

Replace them. Stretch bolts fatigue after you use them once. The same torque on them will not equal the same amount of clamping force.
Jes

Back