New Head Gasket Leaks Oil?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dct5289

GT5 FTW
I just got finished putting a new head gasket on my b18c1 and got it back into the car. However i noticed that it leaks a fair amount of oil. It looks as if it is coming from the part where the serial number for the head gasket sticks out right under the vtec solenoid. Is this possible? Everything was torqued correctly to 61 lbs ft in the right order.

it's probably the seal right behind the solenoid, Or the distributor seal, try to pinpoint where the oil is coming from, if you think that it is coming from the head gasket itself then you must have done something wrong, or didn't clean off the mating surfaces, or there was coolant down the head bolt holes, and it came up when you put the bolts in and caused a torque read error 9you cannot compress liquid)
I would check the cam seal behind the solenoid since you had to remove it to take the cams out, also check the valve cover to see if it got pinched. Also recheck the distributor seal to make sure that didn't get pinched as well.

Turned out i never torqued down the vtec solenoid while i was assembling everything, phew, thought i was about to have to tear it down again.

Back