New here! - Looking for opinions - kinda long.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thought you were suggesting an F22B. Thats the DOHC. Not as good as the F22A, especially the A6. SOHC.

That's a lot of oil. Damn dude. Not sure what would do that, but I know it's not right. That might have been one of your main problems.

That's a lot of oil. Damn dude. Not sure what would do that, but I know it's not right. That might have been one of your main problems.

Thats what I'm wondering. I'm wondering if it's new-thread worthy? I don't want to over-post here. :confused:

Thats what I'm wondering. I'm wondering if it's new-thread worthy? I don't want to over-post here. :confused:

from the looks of it, the seals for the valve cover were pretty shot

put some new ones on there and that i would think that would fix it

Thought you were suggesting an F22B. Thats the DOHC

how does that compare to the f22b1. i think it's like 145hp/147lbfft to like 160 hp.

which would be easier to swap?

I'm assuming that f22b dohc head can swap in

I think that you can check for rod knock by pulling one plug and starting the motor. Do this to all of them, and sometimes when you pull the plug of the corresponding bad rod, it will get quieter.

Also, could it be possible that he has some REALLY bad valve lash?

I think that you can check for rod knock by pulling one plug and starting the motor. Do this to all of them, and sometimes when you pull the plug of the corresponding bad rod, it will get quieter.

Also, could it be possible that he has some REALLY bad valve lash?

Ok, that sounds like it makes sense. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I've heard the term before but no experience with it.... What exactly is valve lash? Is that when the valve springs are worn and they just flop around instead of springing back properly?

Valve lash is the distance from the rocker arm to the top of the valve. Its adjusted by the screws and nuts on the end of the rockers.

A Hayens (etc... $20 Autozone) manual will tell you the correct distance and how to adjust it properly.

Valve lash is the distance from the rocker arm to the top of the valve. Its adjusted by the screws and nuts on the end of the rockers.

A Hayens (etc... $20 Autozone) manual will tell you the correct distance and how to adjust it properly.

Thanks, caboose! I've got that manual. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Can the noise come and go if it's valve lash?

I bought a feeler gauge today. I'll go at the valves as soon as I get a chance. I've been reading the manual and it seems pretty easy to do. Am I correct in thinking this is basically a "valve adjustment"?

EDIT:
Well, while doing some searching, I found a post on another forum that explains the same exact scenario as what my #2 has. So far the answers and responses are all over the board but needless to say, it doesn't look good for #2's motor. :(

Last edited:
hmm well as long as you take your time n pay attention to things as you are doing it and you should be fine

I talked with my dad last night about #2 and he gave me some ideas to diagnose the knock. He used to be a service writer for a Honda dealer about 20yrs ago so he knows the cars a little bit. It's been a long time but I think he gave me some good advice to troubleshoot with. I've got some other things going on the next few days but once I get caught up I'll give his ideas a shot. I'll post my findings afterwards.

if you like sleepers..i have mine posted on here...dont have a link but its on accord section....its named my daily driver primer project....its half primer half not with an h22a engine swap in her. she hauls ass for a stock h22a...i love it...has some upgrades after that post...full msd ignition with external coil conversion, with the msd wires. bigger throttle body, looking at lowerr compression pistons soon, with racing cams (lower compression pistons to boost it safely)

but as far as this thread goes....rebuild the a6...put it in the wagon....get an h22a from hmotorsonline.com (got mine from there) get the engine, trans, wiring for like 2 grand...drop that in the sedan, and have the sedan as the fast accord and the other on as a slower family car...i see that you have a wife (from your first post)..so you probebly are thinkin bout kids sometime or already have them...well that station wagon will do the trick for a safe family car, and the sedan can be the project....good luck

Back