New here wondering about 99 accord EX engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capman519

Hey everyone
Im new to this site and just wanted to say hi to everyone!
Anyways I just purchased a 99 accord ex coupe. The car needs a lot of work I think all the struts need to be changed as well as some other minor things.

The engine has 260 km on it and I have a feeling it won't be running much longer because it has been abused. I'm not sure what type of engine I would be getting to replace it I know the engine in it right now is a 3.0 v-tech.

I'm not nessicarily looking for something much faster I am really looking to find the engine that will go in with the most ease but I wouldn't mind more horsepower either so if there is a more powerful engine available that would be relatively easy to swap I would consider that as well.

So if anyone can direct me to a website or if anyone can give me some helpful info that would be greatly appreciated :)
Adam

Obviously the easiest thing for you would be to just drop in another J30. Don't even think of doing a 4-cylinder, it's a complete waste in a car that came from the factory with a V6.

I've heard of people doing the J32 from the TL and CL into cars like yours, so that might be something to look into. The Type-S version of the J32 puts out 25 more horses than the J30 does, plus the extra displacement would give you a nice little torque boost as well...

excellent, thank you very much do you know anywhere I would be able to find either the j30 or j32? would it be a good idea to check out an auto wreckers??

Yeah I'd start looking for engines like those at wrecking yards. A lot of the engine importing sites I've seen don't really carry much of anything for Honda outside of the four-cylinder realm.

Ok do you know how much more difficult it would be to install an TL engine than a regular accord vtec?? Is there much I would have to change I just got my apprenticeship as a mechanic so I don't really know how to do that much technical stuff although I have good people around me....

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Why don't you just set aside some down time and overhaul your current engine? If you get an engine from a junkyard it'd be a pretty bad idea not to overhaul it anyway, so you may as well just overhaul what you got.

Unless you want the 25 extra horses from the other one which you can probably easily get from your engine anyway.

As far as difficulty I'm not familiar with those swaps, but just make sure they're the same OBD or you'll have wiring issues and I don't think Rywire or anyone else makes conversion kits for your type of swap.

Ok do you know how much more difficult it would be to install an TL engine than a regular accord vtec?? Is there much I would have to change I just got my apprenticeship as a mechanic so I don't really know how to do that much technical stuff although I have good people around me....

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure it's a bolt-in swap. Like CivicRacer93 said, make sure the new engine uses the same OBD setup as the old one, it will make the swapping process very smooth and easy.

thanks so much anyone know where I can read up on different types of engines, mainly honda ones I'd like to get some background info on them before I make my decision.

Back