New Home page style

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
I've decided to move to a more portal-like home page. you can check it out by going to http://hondaswap.com

There will be some more tweaking to it over the next few days :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should add another wing to the sight for parts reviews. Seriously. Just like pbreview.com but for auto parts. Break it down Suspension > Springs > Neuspeed or Interior > Seats > Bride etc... We have enough people on this board to kick it off.. I've probably got 80 reviews stored in my noggin. It would be nice to say, Do APC seats suck? Lets check the reviews.. Oh, I see that 14 people from this sight purchased them and 13 of them said they sucked ass... etc..

Seriously.. That would be teh roxor!

We had something similar to that back in the day.... but it just proved useless. 98% of the comments/reviews were "OMG! best ever!" and "These suck"

no reason why, no extended remarks....

Quoted post[/post]]
We had something similar to that back in the day.... but it just proved useless. 98% of the comments/reviews were "OMG! best ever!" and "These suck"

no reason why, no extended remarks....

Go to pbreview.com and look something up. Check out the format. They have REQUIRED entries such as period of product use, experience level, pros, cons, etc.. It won't let you post a review unless you fill out every field.

Go there, under "paintball products" click "Barrels" then scroll down and pick a barrel. Such as the 32 degrees carbon fiber barrel.. Click the picture. Scroll for reviews. That sight is well laid out. ALOT of programming and mad html work, but you could probably cut, paste, and modify from that sight and save several hours of work. But I think it would be well worth it in the end. The biggest headache would be getting the pages up for each individual product.

If you don't want to go through clicking each thing, just click this.. I just wanted you to see how it was laid out.

lol you can't cut/paste server-side code y0. html is the output only. there's a butt-load of scripting behind the scenes.

its something i could look into, and make it purely user-submitted... but then you get doubles of products instead of multiple comments per product...

and there is NO WAY i could EVER list every product ever made for a honda... even popular products would be a nightmare...

Quoted post[/post]]
and there is NO WAY i could EVER list every product ever made for a honda... even popular products would be a nightmare...

Nightmare, yes.. Impossible? No..

Not saying it would be easy.. Maybe if users could add products as they go.. But I could see that turning into a nightmare as well... Maybe make it admin-approval only on additions..

I'd be willing to help compile lists of parts.. I do damn near nothing all day most of the time anyway.

ok, if you're bored and want to help do this...

start some excel sheets.

sheet1: (companies)

CompanyID CompanyName CompanyDesc CompanyAddress CompanyURL CompanyPhone etc...

sheet2: (products)

ProductID ProductName ProductDesc ProductPrice

sheet3: (the linked list)

CompanyID ProductID

and we're on our way to haveing a relational database :p

here, i started a template....

https://hondaswap.com/files/product_review_db_schema.xls

right click-> save as
and welcome to the data entry bitch position :p

y0, i got a bit o free time...

can you work with quattro? or only excel?

and the recent discussions need to be more than 5, just my .02

I really don't like it B. Just bugs me because it looks so "blah" now, IMHO. Are you sure your not getting these suggestions from H-T's web designer? :ph34r:

EDIT:Just read some where that it's the "basic" lay-out. I hope so. Please tweak it in a good direction.

Quoted post[/post]]
I really don't like it B. Just bugs me because it looks so "blah" now, IMHO. Are you sure your not getting these suggestions from H-T's web designer? :ph34r:

EDIT:Just read some where that it's the "basic" lay-out. I hope so. Please tweak it in a good direction.

Yeah, the website needs some :typer: stickers or something.

No but seriously B, add some life to it with pics or something . . . maybe a new colour scheme?

i'm not changing the color shceeme until the next (and hopefully final) revision of the board comes out. there's been 3 updates in the past month alone.... and everytime an update comes, the skin would have to be re-created. So, once the bard is more finalized, i'll think about changing some colors around.

as for the homepage, again, its the bare-bones system. i'll tweak it a little bit.

no, there is no other option.

again, give me some time to tweak it before you all say you hate it. how often do you look at the home page anyway?

Back