New Honda Tuning Article

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

biglee414

ok i just picked up the new honda tuning issue. it has an article in it called budget boost, in which they turbo a crx hf to push 176ish hp @ about 6psi. it lists costs for turbo, piping, conectors, intercooler, bov, flanges, ect. what i want to know is what needs to be done interrnally for this to actually last more than 3 months(w/ aprox. costs). they gave no indication on how long it would last, they just said that 6psi should be safe for a stock motor(BS).

Ok. Think about it.

They pushed a motor that was DESIGNED with 60 hp in mind to 176 at the wheels. That's about 210-220 horses at the flywheel.

You tell me how long that'll last just from common sense.

I give it 6 months at the most, jsut from rod stress and bearing problems.

not only that but i can't figure out how it could be physically possible to achieve a better than 100% effieciency with a junkyard turbo. they had to be running more than 8 psi into that engine and it had to be one cold fucking morning.

um ok, i ASK A QUESTION to those who know(no sarcastic posts required) to know what i would have to do to the INTERIOR of my motor to MAKE IT ABLE TO HANDLE BOOST.

forged rods and low compression pistons
maybe a blockguard (but some say they aren't worth shit)
if you want ultimate safety, get your block sleeved

Originally posted by biglee414@Apr 3 2003, 10:21 PM
ok i just picked up the new honda tuning issue. it has an article in it called budget boost, in which they turbo a crx hf to push 176ish hp @ about 6psi. it lists costs for turbo, piping, conectors, intercooler, bov, flanges, ect. what i want to know is what needs to be done interrnally for this to actually last more than 3 months(w/ aprox. costs). they gave no indication on how long it would last, they just said that 6psi should be safe for a stock motor(BS).

the words "cheap" and "racing" are NOT synonymous (sp)
you cannot "race" for cheap. MAYBE if you had a domestic...
but certainly not a civic.

if you want to play you gotta pay....

Originally posted by karnash+Apr 4 2003, 06:22 PM-->
biglee414
@Apr 3 2003, 10:21 PM

Hey , why don't you read the article. It actually is cheap and fast. I posted it like a week ago

you can race for cheap...

But that doesnt mean you wont suck ass :D

I've seen way too many kids post messages:

"I've got $1000 and a civic, I want to run 9's" :D

That article was based on the idea " what too with my leftover parts" it was cheap b/c the guy had most of the parts lying around. IMO that eninge wont last very long at all.

yea, the motor prolly won't last too long. but the way people do shit nowadays, most people don't have their motor for a long time anyways. lol. For 500$ I'd go fast for 6 months and throw it in the junk pile

Originally posted by karnash+Apr 4 2003, 06:22 PM-->
biglee414
@Apr 3 2003, 10:21 PM

domestics are still expensive, especially if you want to put it up against another domestic.

plus the cost of repairs :D

not that it makes a difference but the turbo was a rebuilt deal i think and the crx was an si, they used the hf manifold as a turbo manifold. seen a lot of stuff like that around the web. check out this guys site, old but had info on same setup

click

bro they used an si motor not an hf.it clearly states at the end of the artice that the car went from 106hp to 173hp.i wish that was an hf they started with then my sohc vtec motor would make over 200hp

Back