New Hybrid in the town :D

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nick7

I have '97 Honda Civic 1.4iS (D14A4 engine, P3Y OBD2 ECU).
'New' engine is B16A2, OBD1, P30 ECU.

Problem: My OBD2 ECU has weird pinout. Between other things, fires injectors in pairs, has only 2 connectors, which resemble OBD1 type, but are OBD2... etc, etc. So.. I cannot use OBD2->OBD1 converter, etc.
Problem2: I live in Croatia (Europe), and belive it or not.. but 'regular' OBD2 harness, that most of you use.

Soo... what to do? Simple: use OBD1 wire harness!

Is it simple.. well.. so-so.. I used OBD1 wire harness and OBD1 fuse boxes (underhood and underdash).

Result: talk about hybrid - '97 hatchback (originally OBD2) with OBD1 engine/ECU, and mix of OBD1/OBD2 harnesses. :blink:

This weekend finally connected all wires! Only thing that doesn't work now are: A/C (still need to connect wires in front for it), rear fog light (brigt red lamp) and clock on dashboard. Everything else works!!! :worthy: :worthy:
I still need to fix cables in place now, but that is just 'cosmetic' stuff.
Another hting I still miss is rear engine mount, which I should get this week (untill than, car will stay in garage).

Anyway, here are few pics! Yay!

Before (turbocharged B14A4):
car1.jpg

engine1.jpg

And now (engine, work this week on wires, still need to fix those wires in front):
b16a2.jpg

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

One thing tho... when is VTEC supposed to engage on B16A2? By tach it seems just a tad under 6000rpm... is that OK, or is my tach somewhat off?

im not sure btu i believe vtec should engage on the b16a2 at 5800 rpm so i would say its right on......can anyone confirm this?

One thing tho... when is VTEC supposed to engage on B16A2? By tach it seems just a tad under 6000rpm... is that OK, or is my tach somewhat off?
[post=426947]Quoted post[/post]​

5.8K is normal on the B16A2 > ur straight

Tnx guys.. that means it's normal! :)
Oh, another 'stupid' question.. what's rev limiter set to? 8200? Haven't yet tested it.. :p

werd, looks good man- That's a nice little wiring mess you've got there

But glad to hear it's together and working :)

i remember the other thread probably a month ago. glad to see you got everything square. considering that you're one of the few that has actually pulled off such a swap, i think it would be stellar if you did a write-up of what you did for our swap articles section :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 8 2004, 06:19 PM
i remember the other thread probably a month ago. glad to see you got everything square. considering that you're one of the few that has actually pulled off such a swap, i think it would be stellar if you did a write-up of what you did for our swap articles section :)
[post=428493]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I guess I could write a write-up on how&what I did for swap :)
But first I want to end my car completely, than I can do wrute-up. Although I have connected 99% of everyhting, my car is still in garage, due to missing rear engine mount. I 'should' get it on friday. We'll see.
Over weekend I'll also finish installations, since wires are mostly on the floor now, etc, and need to be fixed in place (clean up).
After that I'll write something up :)

Back