New motor build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blwnsmke

Currently Im running a B16a3 block with LS Crank and Rods and Nippon Racing pistons. It has a Built ITR Head and a T3/T4 Turbo setup, rc 650cc. Im wanting to build a bigger motor and more boost. Im thinking a B18 block, getting my LS crank in my block(b16) right now micropolished and reusing it in the B18 block.. I want to use Eagle Rods with ARP Bolts, Wiesco Forged Pistons with the ITR head bolted on it.. What kind of boost could that handle? Should I just run some GSR cams or should I get some turbo cams? Any input would be greatly appreciated.. How much is a set of Golden Eagle Sleeves? ACL race bearing? When I build this motor Im going to just buy a new Oil Pump, Water pump etc.. Should I run Type R stuff or what?

Last edited:
You asked alot of questions, but I'll do my best to answer all of them.

A built motor is only as strong as the weakest part inside of it. You need to keep in mind that "race bearings" won't make any difference at all if they aren't properly installed and gauged.

I don't think I would use the stock cams in that head, they are geared towards all motor. All motor cams are not good for forced induction. If you are searching for this much power, you might as well pick up a set of turbo cams. That means you will have to change the valvesprings/retainers. If you're going to do it, just do it right. Trust me, you will be much happier than had you built it with shotty parts.

As for the oil pump and water pump, you can run whatever you'd like, but its recommended that you run something other than stock (LS) stuff. I'd recommend at least a GSR water pump, and and aftermarket or ITR oil pump. This means you will have to use a different timing belt than the LS, though. You'd also better add headstuds to that parts list if you want this thing to hold together.

You asked alot of questions, but I'll do my best to answer all of them.

A built motor is only as strong as the weakest part inside of it. You need to keep in mind that "race bearings" won't make any difference at all if they aren't properly installed and gauged.

I don't think I would use the stock cams in that head, they are geared towards all motor. All motor cams are not good for forced induction. If you are searching for this much power, you might as well pick up a set of turbo cams. That means you will have to change the valvesprings/retainers. If you're going to do it, just do it right. Trust me, you will be much happier than had you built it with shotty parts.

As for the oil pump and water pump, you can run whatever you'd like, but its recommended that you run something other than stock (LS) stuff. I'd recommend at least a GSR water pump, and and aftermarket or ITR oil pump. This means you will have to use a different timing belt than the LS, though. You'd also better add headstuds to that parts list if you want this thing to hold together.

Im still trying to learn the differences between the different B18 blocks. Does it really matter if your building one with all aftermarket internals?? I found a bunch of ITR oil pumps on ebay brand new. How do you tell for sure they are ITR? I also found a stage 1 oil pump.. Is it best just to get the GSR waterpump from like advanced auto parts or autozone? What timing belt will I need to run? I plan on running ARP Main, Rod and Head studs.. I am going to install a block gaurd also. Will my GSR girdle work on this motor?

Last edited:
Build your engine to handle horsepower, not a PSI number.

Yea I understand that. I guess I just say things one way but actually mean another.. Is there any big differences between the 3 b18 blocks?

Got to talkin to some buddies today that know alot more then I do about these cars and setups. They are trying to talk me into getting a b20 and putting sleeves in it and 84mm bore... LS crank, Eagle H beams etc etc.. My question is, how reliable would a motor built this big be? I am going to daily drive the car. Will it get good gas mileage still?? Also its a turbo motor Im trying to build. What do yall think? Should I just stick to a b18 block and do it like 82mm and turbo it?

Last edited:
Know. "No" is a different word, altogether.

An LS/VTEC or CR-VTEC is as reliable as you build it. Check the Reference Section for a guide on how to properly put one together.

If fuel economy is even a slight concern, don't significantly increase the performance of your car.

Ha I tend to get lazy with grammer when I get on here.. Didn't think anyone would point that out like that! Good eye!!

As for the fuel concern, its not a big issue. I was just curious if building a larger displacement motor like the 84mm b20 would significantly DROP mpg alot -vs- if I were to build a b18 82mm motor.. I guess your car only burns the fuel you demand so they both should get about the same mileage right?

Im on ebay looking a Type R oil pumps and GSR waterpumps.. Will they both fit any B18 block?

I'll make you a deal on everything I have left. Valve trane, cams, breather and crank that would put you with all the major parts you need. The rods and crank will work in the b18b or b20b. If interested let me know.

Back