New OEM Clutch slipping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Ok, so I had the clutch replaced last week. I took it pretty easy after it was replaced, for about 2000km, (a little over 1k miles). The dealership did the clutch, pressure plate, and fluid.

I was driving into work today, up at about 140km/h, engine at 4k, and I gave it a little gas to get around someone, and I could feel it slipping again. I thought it was just my mind playing more tricks on me, but sure enough, it's slipping again.

I don't have the dyno graphs of my car anymore, but if I remember right, the torque peak is no where near the limits of the clutch (Stock d16 clutch).

Is there something else that I can do to get more grab? Not being able to pass in certain instances is really runining my day. The pedla was adjusted by the dealership, so I'm not sure what's up now.

I'm only making 114ft/lb of torque, and 134BHP.

Anyone?

The guy said that he roughed up the flywheel. I doubt that did much.

I'm going to try to take it back tomorrow. It's still not right. Ugh, over a grand, and I still get to take time out of work to go get their screwup or lack of care fixed again.

just try to do the stuff on base. there are a lot of old retired mechanics that would love to work on your car for a case of beer and some smokes.

F' the dealership unless it is a warranty job.

The problem is that they didnt have a machine shop surface the flywheel. When a flywheel gets really worn the new disc is not going to sit flush and tight up against the flywheel. This happened to me once when I replaced the clutch in my dads car. Two days later it slipped so bad the car wouldnt move. I pull out the clutch and flywheel and I could see where the disc was only mating on the flywheel in a small area. I had the flywheel surfaced, put it back together and never had a problem since.

lol you probably just need to adjust the clutch master cylinder push-rod. i had to with my new clutch and flywheel as well. at first i thought i had it adjusted right, but it slipped under power going up a hill. so a lil more adjusting, and now it's great.

lol you probably just need to adjust the clutch master cylinder push-rod. i had to with my new clutch and flywheel as well. at first i thought i had it adjusted right, but it slipped under power going up a hill. so a lil more adjusting, and now it's great.

It's been adjusted. I can feel the difference in pressure I have to apply.

I'll see if I've got time today to bring it back.

Let me clarify.

It doesn't slip very much. When I'm at 4k, and I give it WOT, I can feel it slip a little as it picks up to 4.1k.

i can only imagine whut the labor cost was on that job being done by a dealership.....i do all my own engine work but i called trans shops around my town and asked a price on a clutch for my ef hatch out of curiosity..$700 was the cheapest!! take it back to the dealer..pronto:bs:

It cost me a little less than a grand, parts and labor. But I need the car to drive back and forth to work (45min to hour each way), so I had to suck it up.

After I get off work, I'm going to stop by and have the tech take a look at it. I just hope that he can replicate it. So far it only slips when I'm around 90mph, and drop the accelerator pedal to over 75% to pass someone.

It cost me a little less than a grand, parts and labor. But I need the car to drive back and forth to work (45min to hour each way), so I had to suck it up.

After I get off work, I'm going to stop by and have the tech take a look at it. I just hope that he can replicate it. So far it only slips when I'm around 90mph, and drop the accelerator pedal to over 75% to pass someone.

yea id say they definately didnt resurface the flywheel...and you replaced the clutch with an oem kit? why not upgrade to a performance disc and flywheel or somethin? even if its just a daily driver..couldnt hurt

yea id say they definately didnt resurface the flywheel...and you replaced the clutch with an oem kit? why not upgrade to a performance disc and flywheel or somethin? even if its just a daily driver..couldnt hurt

I would have replaced it with an performance clutch, but I didn't have time. It'd take about a week, maybe more for the clutch to get here, and I drive about two hours a day to work. I cna't afford to be without a car. So, I took it to a dealership.

The amount of money I spent at the dealer is less than the income I would have lost should the clutch have completely failed while waiting for the performance clutch to come in the mail.

Besides, I'm going through a phase where I don't want to work on the car again. I go through phases where I'm all Gung-Ho about it, then I lose interest for a couple months. Maybe the next clutch I put in it will be a performance clutch. I've got a bike come Friday, so I'm not worried about it.

A week after the job it's going to be warrantied.
i was referring to a warranty with a new car where the labor and such would be free.

i really don't feel like working on cars right now either. thats why the nissan is sitting where it is.

News:

The dealership said that they just sanded the surface a little bit, just to give it some grip. I started to feel my blood boil. I asked them how much time it would take to put a new flywheel in. He said about 3 hours. I wanted to strangle the motherfucker. Oh, I came so close. He asked if I wanted to make an appointment, and I just walked out.

It's fucking worse than it was when I brought it into the dealership. And the dealership says that it must be me.

I'm going to order a brand new clutch kit. Wait on it, hope my car doesn't die while waiting, then install it. And then, be out an extra $400. Ugh.

i love exedy clutches. they feel better than stock. i wouldn't let the dealership get away with it. i would request a full refund. you are in the military right? talk to your shirt and have them work something out. shops HATE pissing off the military. it's very bad for them.

I'm not in the military. I work for the military. Nobody can do anything like you suggested because of that. Nobody here will put anything on an "off limits list" unless someone gets stabbed, raped, or murdered there. Also, the places around here know that we're closing this base, so they try especially hard to fuck with us.

I'm going to go back over to the dealership tomorrow, when the head mechanic will be in, and talk to him. This shit is pissing me off. Now I've probably got another fried clutch, and a car that's close to unsafe to drive.

I know they're going to say "Well, you didn't break it in properly," because that's an easy out for them. But I waited over a thousand kilometers to really hammer it. I don't know. I'm wishing I would have just bought a new car last week. Maybe I still will, after I get this resolved of course....

I'm sorry about my language, It's gotten progressively worse through this whole thread.....

tell them you granny drive it. it's not up to them. and the head mechanic wont do anything. if it's at the dealership, you need to go to management. i would do your research though. get a "helms" manual and pull the page for changing the clutch. it should say to resurface the flywheel. if they didnt, then they should refund you or do it for free.

Ok, I just read the honda manual, and it doesn't say anything about resurfacing the flywheel, IF it's within runout spec.

Edit: Actually, it says that it should never be resurfaced, and always replaced if it's no longer within the service limits.

Wellllllll check the push rod adjustment yourself then :). I'm tellin you, sometimes it feels adjusted right the first time, but it isn't, mainly because it isnt broken in when you first adjust it.

Back