New OEM Clutch slipping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Its just the pressure plate. Some of them have very light pedal effort especially factory and factory replacement clutchs. If you like a stiffer clutch get a performance clutch.

Ok, so I went to the dealership today to drop off my car for my appointment tomorrow morning at 8am.

The guy greeted me by name, which is pretty cool. I dunno if it's good or bad though. heh. He explained what had happened. It is as follows (translated of course, I'm not that mean):

The clutch was failing, and the slippage caused both the clutch, and flywheel to heat up pretty extremely. This heat transfered to the throwout bearing, which caused it to cook itself, and wear prematurely. The flywheel heatcycling caused it to warp, and thus wear the clutch unevenly.

So, they gave me a car to drive (Accord Touring 2.0i 30 Year Edition Sport). Then said they'll call me tomorrow when it gets done. The guy didn't mention anything, so I'm assuming (and you can do this in Europe) that there's going to be no cost involved. But I'm ready to pay for the flywheel, since I honestly feel like I should pay for it. I would have paid for it had they checked the runout before they gave me my car back the first time. I think it's pretty fair to expect to pay.

This car they gave me is pretty cool. I dunno if you can get accord wagons in the US anymore, so I don't know if there's anything comparable. It's got about the same ratio transmission as my car, just with a 2.0. It's pretty fun to drive, however it's really heavy, so it handles like my car, even though it's got more power. The stereo is nice, and I enjoy the cruise control, however this isn't the adaptive cruise control like the Type S Civic had.

So, more tomorrow when I get my car back.

Ok, got a call from the dealership. I'm not getting my car back today.

They've gotta replace the master cylinder for the clutch, the flywheel, throwout, clutch, and pressure plate. It's only going to cost me 563€ for parts, because they aren't charging me for labor. Hopefully they'll be done with it tomorrow night they said. Ugh. I wish it would have been done right the first time.

They said that the problem with the light clutch was the hydraulic system, which they're replacing the master cylinder. Good times.

I'm starting to really like the Accord, it's got a K20A3, and it's geared just like my car. But it is nice to be able to step on the gas and have it get moving (given the VSA is off, if it's on, it seems like the power is limited.) When I drive it hard, it responds just like my civic, so it's fun. It's making me think of doing a K-swap, but in reality I'd be better off just buying a new car, so that's the route I'll take in a couple years. My only complaint is the HUGE factory tires/wheels. I decided to do a burnout in a parking lot last night, and I got lots of wheel hop, no actual burnout. And I noticed that it's got a 2-step rev-limiter. This car has me seriously thinking about buying.

But, right now I just want my car back.

Back