New Parts and Now Vibration Under Certain Acceleration

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Found a whole knuckle assembly for $55. Plan on picking it up after work on Friday. Gonna have a new ball joint pressed into it on Saturday and swap it in ($40). Should be easy.....I think. Upper control arm, ball joint and tie bar....should just bolt in......at least I hope!

Got a knuckle assembly from the recycler. $55 and it looks okay. Boot is gone on the ball joint but the bearings seem fine. Those guys there swear that I can get a $4 boot from Honda for the lower ball joint but I would need to order it. Fill it with grease and simply place it on the ball joint. I really doubt my Honda dealer has one in stock and I ain't waiting any longer....this knuckle is going on the car Saturday (even if it rains!) So I am going to take mine off and compare it to the one I bought....if it looks the same (worried the one I bought is off a wrecked driver's side car) I will then take it to have a new ball joint pressed in.

good deal yeah you can get a boot but you need a needle to inject the grease into it. you can change the ball joint your self its not to hard.. just hammer out the old one and then take a c-clamp and press in the new one.. i have done this a few times

Put it in and its a nightmare! My axle boot on the driver's side (near the hub...not mid-shaft) is all twisted (the rubber is actually twisted up like a cyclone) and it popped out of gear......but went back in when I stopped and the mid shaft is now making noise. The dust cover on the mid shaft where it attaches to the trans case is bent a little and the noise is coming from there. I am pretty upset. This "challenge" has become a nightmare I cannot wake up from!

I will post pictures soon and (when I finally calm down) I will take a video of the undercarriage to let others see what I am talking about. I haven't read anything on the subject and I am thinking something huge is going on.

This is (was) my daily driver. It is now going to sit at my parents house (b/c leaving it sitting at my condo scares me and driving it 40+ miles home is scary too). I am going to driver their '07 Camry and start car shopping. It was my plan to get a new mid-size SUV/mid-size truck and turn the EGg into a track car but not until we got out of the Condo. Now I am thinking its gonna get a rebuilt trans and new mid-shaft....later. Then its gonna get some B18C bottom with LS internals or a straight up LS/VTEC and I am gonna non-op it. Buy a dolly to tow it to the track and enjoy it as a recreational toy.

Last edited:
damn.. is the car lowered a lot cause if so that will put a lot of stress on the cv joints and trans. Those dust rings suck, the swap we did in my friends car had that thing come loose and made a weird rattling noise so we just took a whizz wheel and cut it off..

We are getting ready to rebuild a GSR block with a B16 head this winter, was thinking about putting CTR pistons in it been seeing that the LS crank and rods would be a good change to maybe we will look into it. We like the GSR block, but we could use the LS block we are taking out of the 98 teg but can't beat the strength of the GSR block..

Car isn't that low. 2.25" Neuspeeds and KYB shocks and camber kits. Check my signature tag and you'll see some pictures. I am lost and you (hondafreak513) might have been right about the transmission.....I do not effing know! I am not touching it for a while. Its gonna sit and I'm buying a 4Runner that I can afford (probably a '05 or '06 SR5 or Sport.....I do not like leather)

I might entertain a sale of the car but it will be pretty hard. I got way too much money in this thing since I bought it in 1996 and its my first car. At least $18000 in the 15 years I owned it (no maintenance cost included). Kelly Blue Book is smoking fat bowls of crack when they appraise my 92 Civic Si......straight crack smokers!

i want the car but your too far away... but i wouldn't sell it that thing is to nice.. i miss mine wish i never sold it. And hell yes get the 4runner best thing toyota ever made i had a 87 4runner. don't give up on it yet man i know how it is, hell my friend just bought his 98 teg and just cause it has a slow drain on the battery he wants to kill the car... You don't know any one that can rebuild honda trannys..

I got a company (re-build the trans) that is local. They were recommended to me by a mechanic but not sure how much they would charge. I can get a LSD B16A trans for $750 with 35,000 miles so I figure it would be dumb to rebuild my trans if they charge me more than that.

yeah for that price which is cheap as fuck they cost around a 1000 around here... but i got a friend that only charges 100 to rebuild them as long as you buy the parts but the parts are expensive, my brother spent close to 800 on parts to rebuild his 93 gsr trans..

I think it was the mid-shaft. Magana bought the transmission off me and he says is shifts like a champ.....until he tears it up lol.

K20R now and no more issues.

Back