New project/dailydriver 1993 Accord lx 5spd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jessemxt

Hey fellas and ladies? I just bought a 1993 accord lx 5spd for 1340.00 it runs really good it has a new waterpump and timing belt. It has 184000 miles. I have a small oil leak and the tachometer doesnt work. But I feel I got a good deal. I am looking into a h22 swap in the near future. (I already searched the forums) Being a noob I wanted some ideas and are oil leaks common on this car? Also the tach I think there was a aftermarket tach on before I got the car maybe a wire is loose? Thanks Jesse

H22 swap is pretty striaght forward in a 4th gen .

Can you tell where the oil is leaking from ? 184k miles and if the car wasnt fully maintained then yeah , any motor can leak . The front main seal will leak over a period of time and only get worse. It could be a cam seal, head gasket, ect. Even the sending unit. Hard to tell where its coming from ? Just gotta look. What I do is , Take a can of brake cleaner and spray the engine off , blow it dry with air and watch the area over the next few miles and locate where its leaking .

The speed sensor could be bad , or the cluster could need to be replaced. The plug on the wiring harness going to the speed sensor can get corrosion on it and cause it now to function . Before I replaced anything I would check to see if voltage was going to and coming out of the speed sensor. Then see if the cluster was recieving the signal .

hey thanks for the info I will check those things out I need to get a repair manual so I know the different sensors do you unhook any thing when you install a aftermarket tach?

The tach only has 2 wires , One going to the blue wire on the Distributor , one going to the lights , and theres a ground , plus a 12v . No sensors are needed for a tach to work .

Are you saying tach as in Speedometer OR Rpm gauge ?

Back