New Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zerosk8r455

Hey, i know everyone asks this, and i tried searching but came up with nothing that was applicable to my situation. Most ppl ask this question for their old crx's or HB's. I have a '97 Civic Dx. I've finally saved up the money to buy my motor. I've been told the B16Sir2 (obd2) would be a good buy. However, it must be impossible to find because i have yet to find one. So, my question is: Should i just buy a gsr motor instead? Btw, i am going with forced induction. Or should i just buy the b16a2 and miss out on the 10 hp and few lb's of tq and spend more? I had planned on using the gsr tranny anyways with my b16. Are GSR's good for boosting? If so, would a GSR be a reasonably easy swap? Thanks.

P.S. If you have suggestions for other motors, please let me know.

whoa....who told you the b16sir2 obd2's were hard to find?

any swap shop out there worth their nuts and bolts could get one no prob....

No one told me they were hard to find. I can't find one anywhere. I've looked all over the internet. Btw, what generation would the b16sir2 obd2's be? 5th? i see tons of ppl selling 1gen and 2ndgen b16sir2's but i don't think those are the obd2. Thx for the help.

uh... i always thought that the sir II's were all obd1 like it says in the ref. section. https://hondaswap.com/reference/index.p...de=engine&id=18 . you should be lookin' for a b16a2 from a usdm 99-00 civic si if you really want a b16. but if i were you, i'd spend a little extra and get the gsr. 1.6L < 1.8L. gsr's are good for boosting although the b16 has a better head for boost... as it has a larger compression chamber (for lower compression) and it also flows a bit better. but the extra .2L of the gsr more than makes up for the b16's slightly better head. but if you're really goin' balls out, you could sell your gsr head and buy an b16a2 head and swap that on. :D .

Man Zero, your pretty misinformed here. First B16A(SiR II) are not hard to find they are one of the most abundant honda motors out there. Second, you wouldn't want one if you could find one since they are OBD1 motors (your OBD2). You would want a B16A2 (99-00 Si) or the above mentioned B18C1 (96-01 GSR). B16A2 and B18C1 are OBD2 which will make your swap easier. jdmpower.net or hmotorsonline.com have decent prices and won't screw you over. Or check your local U-Pulls (car-part.com) for better prices.
And third, the boost effect. B18C1's are the best to boost if you have the money. A GSR swap usually runs 3000-3500 ish. Turbo is another 2500ish. Another alternative you might wanna consider is going with a B18B (96-00 RS/LS/GS) and boost that. It's a lot cheaper and easier to tune plus you can always add a B16A head down the road.

ok..first, there are b16sir2 obd2's....obviously they must be hard to find cuz none of you know about them. i believe hmotorsonline is selling the complete swap's for them...but i don't want that..i just need the bare block. So you think the gsr's a better swap anyway? hmm..ok thanks..i'll look into that.

Hybrid Revolution has them,as well as Hmotorsonline,you have to specify that you want one from a 96+ that way you get the right OBD.The B16A2 everyone is telling you,you need is in fact OBD IIb and use's the extra input on the ECU that the OBD II doesn't,so you need to do some wiring.

Ok, there are B16A SiR II motors that are OBD2? How the hell does that work when the SiR II is the JDM 92-95 hatch with a B16A that are all OBD1?

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 5 2003, 10:38 PM
Ok, there are B16A SiR II motors that are OBD2? How the hell does that work when the SiR II is the JDM 92-95 hatch with a B16A that are all OBD1?

It works because like the Delsol dohc vtec's,the siR's continued past 95,but yet no one seems to want to list the motors for them.I don't know why,but they don't.We have them in Germany in a 1.6 and a 1.8 model that comes with the B18C4,they are OBD II.

I always figured in Japan it was from 92-95 you had the SiR II's then in 96-01 you had the Civic Type R's. Did the Ferio come with a B Series?
I've heard of the B18C4, but I called the kid a complete dumass for sayin he had one. Oh well.

Yea.. I am 99.9% sure they have them.. Brian Wong (importer) said he could get me one. (well it was for someone else)..

Ya, the ferio came with a B16,and the B18C4 is a euro model from the Civic VTi 1.8 5door and the Aerodeck 1.8.

Back