New Rig (explination inside)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Well, Friday, I went back to my old apartment to get the last of my stuff out of there. I haven't been in there in a month, and I walked in my room to find that my good rig was GONE. I called the police, they asked who might have taken it (since there was no sign of of forced entry, and all entry points were locked.)

I gave them some names....turns out one of them was in jail (one of my old roommate's drug addict friends) for having 20g of Cocaine on him walking home from his g/f's house. He admitted to putting up my computer to buy the coke. He is going down for strike 5 w/ posession with intent to distribute...10 years for that and burglary. He didnt give up the name of the dude he sold the computer to....so I now have to buy a new machine.

See below:

Code:
2xSAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N NEItem#: N82E16827151154  $59.98($29.99 each)

Rosewill R220-P-BK Black Mid Tower Computer Case NEItem #: N82E16811147074    $22.99

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB Hard Drive NEItem #: N82E16822152052 $104.99

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor NEItem #: N82E16824254005 $169.99

FSP Group AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply NEItem #: N82E16817104037    $54.99

CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) VS2GB667D2 NEItem #: N82E16820145180 $44.99

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 Motherboard NEItem #: N82E16813131180 $129.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550 NEItem #: N82E16819115030 $169.99

MSI NX8600GT-T2D512E OC GeForce 8600GT 512MB NEItem #: N82E16814127319 119.99

Im not worried about the case.
The monitor had a shit ton of good reviews...I dont do much gaming anymore, so i dont think its going to be an issue....I dont think the Graphics card will be too bad for what i do. I mean, i do still play games, just not a power gamer anymore (on the PC).
The RAM and the CPU will probably get updated.

That is terrible. I would contact a puerto-rican inmate at whatever prison he goes to, and pay them off with ciggarrettes to shank him in the shower. ;x

Punish fuck his g/f and mail him pics.

Nice system. Needs more gigabytes tho :)

Punish fuck his g/f and mail him pics.

Nice system. Needs more gigabytes tho :)

I dont think so...i had an 40, a 160, and 320 in my last system and wasnt really lacking...i learned how to delete shit that i didnt watch.

Im also trying to budget on this, cause my old roommate bounced a rent check to me (just waiting out the time to get the warrant issued)...so i dont have a lot of money for the new system...i had a lot of crap to pay off to get out of my old apt.

lightscribe doesnt work in VM?

nice choice on MB btw. i have the ddr3 version (p5k3) and i love it. overclocks easy :)

technically, yes it does...but i can also get good framerates if i go on a wow kick with dual booting. i get the urge to play wow for a few weeks every few months.

I can play it on linux but it plays a lot better on windows.

Damn that fucking sucks. My rig is like my life.

Anyway, too bad the Wolfdales are fucking hard to get a hold of/over priced right now. For the same money, you get up to 10% performance at same speed, but most of the 8xxx replaces are at a faster clock than the old 6xxx.

Anyway, why not get some cheaper RAM? Does that one come with rebates? I see $30 2GB DDR2-800 kits all over. Probably not to rebates maybe. You can get some D9s for $3 after rebate for 1GB up to 4 rebates for 4GB.

But everything looks good. And HannsG do get really good reviews for the price. Oh yeh, if you want to get even cheaper, the ABit Pro boards are like $65 after rebate and awesome overclockers.

i stopped overclocking a while back.

if you can link me to that ram, id appreciate it. im not set on single stick by any means....

Damn, it looks like the deal just ended for the $4 RAM.

DEAD (rebate expired): HP 1GB PC2-5300 240pin memory: $3.83 AR + shipping at PCUniverse - SlickDeals.net Forums

It might come back. I got a pair and the rebates came, pretty large though if you're scared of rebates. $40 per stick. But I havent seen anyone have problems with them.

Anyway, here are a few good deals at local frys and frys.com.
FRYS.com*|*OCZ
FRYS.com*|*CORSAIR
FRYS.com*|*OCZ

Yea i figured you werent into overclocking, but overclocking components are stable components, as you have known.

awesome.

yeah, im an FSP fan boy, so as long as its them im willing to buy it.

I dont think so...i had an 40, a 160, and 320 in my last system and wasnt really lacking...i learned how to delete shit that i didnt watch.

Where's the fun in that :) I'd drop for a smaller and faster drive for the OS. I know Raptors are 'spensive as hell, but if you can squeeze a few bucks in, it's worth it. Keep the other drive for media and whatnot. Better yet, put that drive in an external case.

Im also trying to budget on this, cause my old roommate bounced a rent check to me (just waiting out the time to get the warrant issued)...so i dont have a lot of money for the new system...i had a lot of crap to pay off to get out of my old apt.

That really sucks, man. Hope you get your ducks back in a row soon. I know that shit like that can fuck you up for a while.

naw, ill probably be back on my feet at the end of this month. i was out of work for a few months, so i didnt have my savings built back up by the time we had to move out...so i used it all to pay off my debt. I havent gotten my tax return yet, so thats always a plus.

Ive been thinkin about this a lot lately.

So heres what im going to do...like a silly bitch...im gonna part it.

Im gonna get case, psu, dvd burners and harddrive the first time around.

then motherboard and RAM (lower pay week...cause ive got rent/insurance to pay).

then CPU and Graphics card.

After that im gonna buy a GOOD 19" and then another good 19".

we'll see on the third...i mean there is my linux box...but i dont really give it a lot of love when im doing something in windows...so it just chills with a CRT.

we'll see on the third...i mean there is my linux box...but i dont really give it a lot of love when im doing something in windows...so it just chills with a CRT.

I worked with dual and triple screen setups, and from my experience (I don't game much) the productivity increase of going to three monitors from two is much larger than going from one to two. If you game, three is automatically a better choice since it gives a larger wraparound and also doesn't center on dead space between the screens.

Back