new ring break in?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

electron_si

I seized an oil ring on my number three cylinder (b16a2). i took it back to the place i bough it and they put all new rings in at no cost.(after lots of bitching)

do i need to follow a break in procedure like i would a new motor to make sure my rings seat correctly. the cycliners werent milled and they still have the same pistons so i wasnt sure. also, is it ok to switch to mobil one after my break in

thanks for the help

You can drive it easy for 500 miles and then romp on it, or you can follow some people's recommendations to just beat on it as soon as you get it. Just drive normally without revving to kingdom come for a few hundred miles and you'll be fine.

Switching to Mobil1 synthetic is always a good idea. Do make sure it's after your break-in is over.

if you break it in slow it will be slow, if you run hard after letting it idle for about 30 mins. and fucking go out and run it hard it , it will screen everytime...

just from my past this is what i do

i broke mine in on the dyno right after starting it up letting it idle at 3000 rpms for 15 min. changed the oil and made full power passes right after that

Don't beat on it, but don't baby it either. If you break it in easy it'll always like it easy but if you break it in hard it'll run like a motherfucker for you.

Go to Google and search for "motoman break in". Interestingly enough, it's almost identical to the break in procedure in my repair manual.

This is the method I used and my motor was still running strong when I sold the car 3 years (25000 miles) later.

Back