1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new ring break in?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by electron_si, Sep 8, 2006.

1. electron_si

electron_si New Member

I seized an oil ring on my number three cylinder (b16a2). i took it back to the place i bough it and they put all new rings in at no cost.(after lots of bitching)

do i need to follow a break in procedure like i would a new motor to make sure my rings seat correctly. the cycliners werent milled and they still have the same pistons so i wasnt sure. also, is it ok to switch to mobil one after my break in

thanks for the help

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You can drive it easy for 500 miles and then romp on it, or you can follow some people's recommendations to just beat on it as soon as you get it. Just drive normally without revving to kingdom come for a few hundred miles and you'll be fine.

Switching to Mobil1 synthetic is always a good idea. Do make sure it's after your break-in is over.

3. tunedhonda-ata

tunedhonda-ata im turbo bitch!!!!

if you break it in slow it will be slow, if you run hard after letting it idle for about 30 mins. and fucking go out and run it hard it , it will screen everytime...

just from my past this is what i do

4. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

yup... id run it hard :)

5. 10sec.hatch

10sec.hatch Junior Member

i broke mine in on the dyno right after starting it up letting it idle at 3000 rpms for 15 min. changed the oil and made full power passes right after that

6. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

This is the method I used and my motor was still running strong when I sold the car 3 years (25000 miles) later.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted