New Router suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Currently I have a Linksys RTP300 VOIP Router. Sometimes the connection lags and when playing games it "studders", or lag spikes occur like every minute(with the computer connected directly to the modem, the problem is fixed). From what I've heard, this is very common for the Linksys routers with HL/HL2. My cousin has a 2 different model Linksys(the regular blue ones; one wired and one wireless) and has these problems also.

I saw a D-Link VOIP router that I can get for free after rebate on TigerDirect.com, but I dont want to wait for the rebate(price is $90). So, I'm wondering is it possible to just use two routers? Maybe something like this: Modem->Router1(goes to my computer and xbox)->VOIPRouter(to the other two computers in the house)? If so, what routers do you guys suggest I use that is good for gaming yet cheaper than $50?

Thanks, Kevin N E

belkin is decent, but I've had my little D-Link for a couple years and it's performed flawlessly.

And yes you can run 2 routers, just use the right cable.

Alright I just bought a refurbished D-Link DI-524 from TigerDirect, and have that before the VoIP router. So far, its working good. I havent tested gaming yet, but as far as regular connection goes, it doesnt "studder".

well, linksys (aka cisco) has never steered me wrong

and VOIP just plain sucks right now. still needs to mature

D-Link is the way to go, no questions asked. Linksys is supposedly the better/best brand for businesses and such but is more difficult for the "average" joe to set up. I usually tell people that are using it for home use to go with the D-Link, because it offers very easy user setup, and its a very good quality router.

Yes i got a refurbished D-Link DI-524 for like $20 at tigerdirect; just plugged it in and plugged the VoIP router in the #3 port, works great.

Back