New shocks...but the old ones won't come off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

Ok, so a while back I tried to take off my rear shocks and found that the bolts at the bottom that connect the rear shocks to the rear trailing arm are seized inside the bushings (they have a metal insert) and won't come off. I already tried the Hammer + wd-40 trick....didn't work. I can turn the bolt, but all it does is bend the mount on the shock outward as I turn (there is a nut welded to the plate that comes down to hold the shock in place over the bushing). So...

1. How do I get the damn things off?
2. I assume I'll need new bushings, are these the right ones? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

use a screw driver stick it on the end and hammer the bitch out- never any problem just had problems stripping the head on the bolt
those look to be the right bushings yes

if you can turn it sounds like your bushing is fucked. same thing happened to me. i had to remove the shock and rea LCA as a whole then cut the old shock off, and replace the bushing.

booooo....ok. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take off the rear LCA....but oh well. Maybe its time for a rear disk conversion... :ph34r:

if you can turn it sounds like your bushing is fucked. same thing happened to me. i had to remove the shock and rea LCA as a whole then cut the old shock off, and replace the bushing.

exact same thing happened to me...
time for new bushings

1) YOUR EBAY link above sucks balls

2) in the ad it says (Above picture may not be application specific)

i know what they look like, and i know the description is right...
but that the best guarantee i can give you...

i don't think you said what car it was for though?

Split the nut off with a nut splitter, then use a sledge hammer to crack the bolt loose and it should slide right out. I went through this same thing also and that is what I did, I even managed not to kill the bushing. The key here is to get the nut off then break that rusty connection between the bolt and bushing.

i actualy had the same exact ploblem today and just clicked your link and bought the kit. saved my ass the $60 the deal wanted per side.

wd-40 is actually a desiccant not a penitrating oil, try something like kroil , ping the bolt with hammer a few times to help the pentrating oil seep toward the bushing, and keep working at it. it will either work or it won't odd's are you'll snap the bolt.

BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT!!!!

no, j/k try to Hammer it, like dude said above, it will let the oil seep in between. the hard thing is that it has seized and if so, the rust has fused it all together, my opinion is to take the lca off and see if you can get to it better. good luck yo

thats what I was thinking. I was mainly just hoping I wouldn't have to do that....its more work than I anticipated...but so are all projects on my car :)

i had to drill my ish out last time...i also ground off the nut...big pain in the ass. saved the bushing though!!!

yeah i got the acetalene out out fryed my bushing bad, still don't have it out either but i'm waiting for that kit to come since i'm sick of it.

Back