New shoes leather stank

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
I bought some new dress shoes. .. 100% genuine leather. And they stink. I left them in my house friday and my whole house stunk. I left them outside for 36 hours and they still stink.

Any suggestions on how to bring the aroma down without ruining them as they are expensive dress shoes.

Pack the leather item in newspaper or packing paper. The porous quality of newspaper and packing paper means they are both great for absorbing any bad smells in your leather item. Always check that the leather item is completely dry and that you are using dry newspapers. The loose fiber in newspaper makes it softer and more absorbent than other options, like office paper.[2]
  • Crumple up several sheets of newspaper in a box and place the leather item in the newspaper. Close the box and leave it sealed for one to two days.
  • Check the leather item to see if the newspaper has effectively drawn out the bad smell. You may need to leave the item in the newspaper for another day.

I've had this happen with steve madden shoes before. Smelt like gasoline for a few weeks in the room I kept.

walked by
saw the shoes
paused for a moment
"dafuq??"
:huh: :hmm::huh::dunno:
continued on
not much attention paid

Last edited:
Back