new SI = worst oil change ever.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I just did the Oil in our 2007 SI for the first time. My god does honda make the WORST oil filter setups ever.

The oil filter is on the back side of the engine, directly below it is the axle, control arm, chassis and some plastic guard. Oil hits all of them and gives a nice 1.5 sqft shower.

Why does honda do this? Its the same way just not as bad with my TL, it hits 2-3 things on the way down.

Only thing I cant think of is Honda makes a point to get people pissed off with the big mess it makes so people will take the car into them for service.

Just reading up on it, when doing the SI oil change, the people in the know how say to remove the wheel so it's easier to get to the filter, too bad it still dumps oil all over the place.

As far as the relocate kit, that was the first thing that came to mind when doing it. I just wish honda would put it in a place that made sense.

i just take mine to honda and get it changed for 25 bucks and thats with a free wash lol

i just take mine to honda and get it changed for 25 bucks and thats with a free wash lol

F that, I've never had any of my cars done or any friends/families cars done where afterwords the oil level was where it should be. On top of that I've had to use breaker bars to break the oil drain bolt lose more times then I'd like to think......
In fact when I first bought my TL I couldn't even break it free with a breaker bar, I had to use my impact wrench.

On top of that, any oil that drains all over the frame/axle/control arm is surely to stay and not get fully cleaned up.

No thanks.

Yeah I hated changing those at the dealership. I would always get about a 3 foot extension and it wouldn't be to bad. But that is with the car on a lift so I am sure it would be harder on jack stands.

B16. Same oil filter position failure. The only thing I hate about the car I think. You would think after all this time, by your Si they would have done something with it. 4G63's have them on the very bottom and screw in upwards. Brilliant! Take note Honda...

I liked the newer Accords and non SI Civics. The oil filter was seriously a few inches about the drain plug. That made it really nice.

I think it's like this on most Hondas. On my Accord it's basically directly above the exhaust.. and on my Civic it is in the same place somewhat, drips all over the shift linkage/exhaust. Makes for a nice smell driving down the road. Even with wiping the exhaust down, it still smells like shit..

B16. Same oil filter position failure. The only thing I hate about the car I think. You would think after all this time, by your Si they would have done something with it. 4G63's have them on the very bottom and screw in upwards. Brilliant! Take note Honda...

B16 is easy, you can reach straight up and grab it.

In order to grab the oil filter on the SI I had to lay under the car reach up and make a right angel with my arm, at that point with some luck, I could get my hand on it, no filter wrench would fit it so I had to use a smaller strap wrench and grab it at the base since there wasn't enough room to grab it around the top of the filter.

Maybe they placed the filter where it would best serve its purpose instead of where it would be user friendly?

Funtion over form.

the standard civic oil filter is in a great spot.

10ojkgk.jpg

The SI..... again, people pointed out that its best to just remove the front wheel....

Maybe they placed the filter where it would best serve its purpose instead of where it would be user friendly?

Funtion over form.

Doubt it since relocating filters isn't uncommon in high HP cars.

Guessing it had more to do with maybe ground clearance? Either way, its a total PITA

Funtion over form.

Which is why I haven't put a relocation kit on. I want to keep an eye on oil pressure if I do that.

Ever see one on a ecotec? Very nice design. its a paper insert into a plastic cap that you can change on the right side of the motor while its on the ground.. no oil spill no drips nothing..

Attachments

• saturn-ion-vue-ecotec-2.2-oil-filter-element.jpg
    saturn-ion-vue-ecotec-2.2-oil-filter-element.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 4,191
Back