new SI = worst oil change ever.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ever see one on a ecotec? Very nice design. its a paper insert into a plastic cap that you can change on the right side of the motor while its on the ground.. no oil spill no drips nothing..
I hate those type of filters. New turbo diesel VW bugs are like that and they suck.

Crap.

I don't want to know where the filter is on my new fit.

Jeffie: I know your pain, it's impossible to get to the filter on my 1.4l civic, because you have to reach over the axle, and twist your hand around the intake manifold support to get to the damned thing. Not to mention you have to wait for the exhaust to cool completely before you even reach up there. Oh, and the shift linkage.

I like the design of the new civic, it looks like it'd be easy to prefill the filter.

Last edited:
At the dealer they have this little tray that is magnetic. Stick it up there and it makes all the oil from the filter drain with out splashing all over everything. Super easy and it probably doesn't cost much. I'll find out where you get one.

At the dealer they have this little tray that is magnetic. Stick it up there and it makes all the oil from the filter drain with out splashing all over everything. Super easy and it probably doesn't cost much. I'll find out where you get one.

Yeah we had those they kinda sucked using and were impossible to put on the new SIs. The easiest now I think about it is was the Odyssey and the Ridgelines. They were right behind the front passenger side.

B16. Same oil filter position failure. The only thing I hate about the car I think. You would think after all this time, by your Si they would have done something with it. 4G63's have them on the very bottom and screw in upwards. Brilliant! Take note Honda...

heck ya... the easist oil change i ever did was on a 2005 lancer es...

all 4 cylinder mitsubishis, btw :)

i made it even easier though. turn the wheel full lock left, slide the pain under. i got one of those fram quick-drain plugs where you uncap it and screw the hose on. takes about 10 minutes to drain but hell no mess. then unscrew the oil filter which is off to the side and VERY easy to wrap your hand around. with the wheel off it is even easier.

l_967ecf38c8cb4964882dbd57a5b67a7b.jpg

i do have a relocation kit to put on though, it adds about 1/2 quart to my system.

This is about the location for the 2.4L Breeze/Cirrus/Stratus and Caravan. Is basically the americanized version of the Mitsubishi engine. Probably most 2.0 dodges are nice. But if you think about it, the oil leaking all over if you leave it will prevent rust, sort of.;)

This is about the location for the 2.4L Breeze/Cirrus/Stratus and Caravan. Is basically the americanized version of the Mitsubishi engine. Probably most 2.0 dodges are nice. But if you think about it, the oil leaking all over if you leave it will prevent rust, sort of.;)
Z6 i think you're on to something! Rust protection is exactly the thing i'm worried about my aluminum block needing. ^_^

you mean the bastardized version of the 4g64.

if you take care of your vehicle you dont have to worry about oil and rust, right?

depends where you live. road salt and snow do horrible things to vehicles.
Along with its collecting in those corners. oil tends to layer in some places and make a sludge that is impossible to clean or penetrate. Blowing out lifetime axles cv joints is like getting a free undercoating minus the labor.;)

I have a habit of pressure washing the underside and wells any chance I get in the winter. It's kept rust and rot away quite well. As long as you take care of any spots that appear to start forming as well.

Back